Smart Tabs for a stern heavy boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Man

Reaction score
My boat is really stern heavy (2 group 27 batteries, 6 gallon tank) and moving weight to the front isn't an option. I usually balance this by putting passengers toward the front. I have tried doelfins, but they catch too much crap and too many weeds. I have been looking at the Nauticus smart tabs to help with the problem. Will these give me some stern lift to help my problem? My question is where to buy them at? I put my zip code in the dealer locator, but it only gave me Bass Pro and Cabelas, neither of which offers the specific tab that is recommended for my boat by nauticus. I also believe I need the PR500 brackets as I frequently drag my boat onto shore to hunt out of it. Anyone recommend me one way or the other on that?

When I had my 1800 Maycraft I bought mine at West Marine.

On my boat they worked perfect. No bow rise on take off, planed in 1/2 the time and could stay on plane at much lower RPM.
Initially I had lost some speed, but after going thru the adjustment process and emailing the company they sent me different piston at no charge and the boat was back up to the same top speed.

I highly recommend them.

I have used them they work great. Don't over do it with them, get the minimum size you need not the maximum, and adjustment is the key to them performing correctly, read the instructions carefully and adjust them correctly and you will be happy.

Can't really go wrong with smart tabs. They should allow you to hop up on plane more quickly and balance out your ride while underway. Lenco is probably the most common/popular brand, followed by Bennet. They generally come in electric or hydraulic models depending on your application. Of course, it you don't want to go quite that far, you can install some "dumb tabs" which are essentially fixed tabs that still aid in getting on plane. While not adjustable on the fly, they're way cheaper, work quite well and can often be made of simple materials like aluminum angle and stainless hardware.