So, im new on here....thinking about my first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only price that I know of for sure (since I recently considered one) was $999.00 for a 15-42 riveted Alumacraft from a local dealer here in Houston. That price is brand new....but....doesn't include trailer nor trolling motor; battery etc.; oars... nor any other add-ons that your boat has.

I still don't know the width of the boat that you are considering. If it was 42 inches or more, and the boat was located here in Texas... I'd probably already own it. You wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. It would be mine...for my pond...which doesn't need a motor of any kind.

If you like it...and it fits you....buy it. Sounds like a good price for a nice boat. Rich

ok, so there have been more contenders today...I got texted a boat with motor and all thats a flat bottom for 1000...

and then this person finally got me pictures from his father...it looks fairly clean and has a 6hp johnson with it for 700 (thats without actually seeing if thats the best he can do)

Attachments

• IMG_20110419_185632.jpg
    IMG_20110419_185632.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 625
  • IMG_20110419_185644.jpg
    IMG_20110419_185644.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 625
im trying to upload the one that the guy wants me to come look at for 1000, has seats, trolling motor,fish finder, 6.5 johnson..but no battery

Attachments

• PART951303266626709.jpg
    PART951303266626709.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 624
93civEJ1 said:
im trying to upload the one that the guy wants me to come look at for 1000, has seats, trolling motor,fish finder, 6.5 johnson..but no battery

that dont look like a bad boat, Offer him $800 the worst is that he will tell you NO!! and then meet you some where in the middle, and you could still have the cash for registation and a battery

just remember to rush into it, just take your time and get the one you want...

Yeah....actually he said 1050...but I offered maybe around 1k...im supposed to maybe go look at it tomorrow...im just trying to find the best boat to start with, for the best price, and just am trying to get opinions...have a few options...just its all new to me...so I dont really know what to look for and what are good and bad prices. All I have to compare is what people have on here, and what they give for them.

My rule of thumb is always offer 20% less than the listing price on Craigslist. Cash and a quick and easy transaction will go a LONG way toward keeping the price down.

My boat phone calls always go like this, "Hi, if you'll take $xxx cash for the boat I'll come get it this evening" Most of the time they say no .... then call me back later that day and say ok.

MrSimon said:
My rule of thumb is always offer 20% less than the listing price on Craigslist. Cash and a quick and easy transaction will go a LONG way toward keeping the price down.

My boat phone calls always go like this, "Hi, if you'll take $xxx cash for the boat I'll come get it this evening" Most of the time they say no .... then call me back later that day and say ok.

that is a great way to start a phone call, I am also looking for a boat. and I think that my next phone call I make is going to start like that, I went and looked at a 14' lonestar today with a 25hp merc and a 40thrust troller, trailer, tank, bilge pump, livewell, all it needs is a battery and he said the motor wouldnt run unless sprayed starting fluid. he wants 950, I talked him down to 800, he told me about the motor(which is prob bad gas) I am going to tell him 700 and I will pick it up on fri

good luck...let us know if you get it?

Im just having problems...deciding on which one to look at, for the best price, etc

The more boats that you go and look at, and ask questions about....the more you will learn. You'd be surprised what some people will tell you. Some sellers know nothing, others are knowledgeable and want to show off.

Often, it helps to ask "open-ended" questions, like "What would you have changed on the boat?" And listen...don't talk. regards, Rich

i have also found this boat, that I can get for about the same price as a small jon...it just seems like a really good deal...im fairly young...have a gf that would prob want to go on the boat with me here and there....so for the price, this seems like it would be more cozy for a woman, and get me on the water as well....thoughts on this? is it worth it to invest in something like this over a little jon for the same amount? or stick with my jon plans? (if its not already sold)

15 Foot Runabout, Original Owner, 85 HP Johnson Outboard, Calkins Trailer,Convertible Top, Side Curtains, Aft Curtain, Side Windows and Bow cover, Vinyl is original and in good condition., Six Life Vests, Spare Prop, Wheel Bearings and Spark Plugs, Always kept covered and in a shed when not in use, Original Brochure and Manual, Registration good until August 2012, Boat is ready for the water.

Attachments

• 3kd3m23p75T55Q05X1b4j16d75935f2891960.jpg
    3kd3m23p75T55Q05X1b4j16d75935f2891960.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 597
  • 3md3o73ld5V35T65S3b4jc0875da255391d93.jpg
    3md3o73ld5V35T65S3b4jc0875da255391d93.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 597
  • 3n23p13lb5V35X65S0b4j62bba4c541e91a16.jpg
    3n23p13lb5V35X65S0b4j62bba4c541e91a16.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 597
  • 3n73m53p25U45X05R3b4jdd53b3d8927d1cb9.jpg
    3n73m53p25U45X05R3b4jdd53b3d8927d1cb9.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 597
I'd have to say that you need to figure out what your highest priorities are and what will work/fit your needs/lifestyle the best.

I'm old enough to say that fishing is certainly a higher priority for me than letting my wife lay on the bow to catch some rays. :wink: Your priorities may be different. It's better to decide these now than after you buy the wrong boat.

The decision is up to you.....however....a tin "boat" requires less care to keep it in good condition. Motors still need the same maintenance either way. Might be more difficult to accessorize for fishing with a glass boat, but it can and is done all the time. I have no experience in it though.

Good luck.

fender66 said:
I'd have to say that you need to figure out what your highest priorities are and what will work/fit your needs/lifestyle the best.

I'm old enough to say that fishing is certainly a higher priority for me than letting my wife lay on the bow to catch some rays. :wink: Your priorities may be different. It's better to decide these now than after you buy the wrong boat.

The decision is up to you.....however....a tin "boat" requires less care to keep it in good condition. Motors still need the same maintenance either way. Might be more difficult to accessorize for fishing with a glass boat, but it can and is done all the time. I have no experience in it though.

Good luck.

yeah...im actually supposed to go look at the camo one today with all of the stuff, that i posted in a pic above...i guess im more worried about getting cheated financially of getting a better boat for the money.

Looks good, and, if it runs well ...may be a great first boat. As was said above...tin boats are easy to care for and fish very well.

A boat such as this is more of a "family/girlfriend/buddy" boat. You certainly can fish out of it. You can probably take her skiing with it. It is a boat that would have multiple uses, but EVERY boat is a trade-off. Putting a trolling motor on it will be a different (but not impossible) task than the same TM on a tinny.

If you can get it on the water and see it run...great. If you can have a mechanic check out the engine and boat itself.... great. If not, it is just your judgement if the seller is truthful. Many are, some aren't.

Good luck on your choice. regards, Rich

I emailed the person, so will see if they email back...they did the other day.

As far as going to look at the camo one today....how all should I inspect? I asked if they had a way to test motor...and the mentioned having a bucket under to be able to do that....what all should I look for and test? As far as the aluminum camo one?

Thanks

sorry for so many questions...its just all new to me.

No need to be sorry for the questions. That's what the people on this forum are good at.

Here are a few thoughts:

Look for obvious structural damage. IF you see cracks or a lot of holes, not a good thing. They can be fixed, but it can get expensive.
Run the motor and make sure it runs well and has a good "pee flow". If it doens't....then it needs an impeller. I'd ask up front when it was changed no matter what.
I always checked all the accessories to make sure they worked. Don't forget the running lights.
Tire wear on trailer, and ask when bearings were last checked/maintained
Lights on trailer should all work.
Clear titles on all required in your state.
I always get a bill of sale too for safe keeping...just in case.

I'm doing this quickly and I'm sure there's more, but I'll let others chime in too and get back to work.

fender66 said:
No need to be sorry for the questions. That's what the people on this forum are good at.

Here are a few thoughts:

Look for obvious structural damage. IF you see cracks or a lot of holes, not a good thing. They can be fixed, but it can get expensive.
Run the motor and make sure it runs well and has a good "pee flow". If it doens't....then it needs an impeller. I'd ask up front when it was changed no matter what.
I always checked all the accessories to make sure they worked. Don't forget the running lights.
Tire wear on trailer, and ask when bearings were last checked/maintained
Lights on trailer should all work.
Clear titles on all required in your state.
I always get a bill of sale too for safe keeping...just in case.

I'm doing this quickly and I'm sure there's more, but I'll let others chime in too and get back to work.

i was watching test videos on youtube, just to get ideas. Is it wise to compression test these small HP outboard motors? ...also, i noticed the pee flow on them you talk about....i see alot of people in thread mention a checking of oil on the lower units? all that is required in TN is a bill of sale.

Thanks Rich,

I appreciate it. I will let you guys know what I think of ole camo flat bottom.

well I actually got the camo one...i feel I got an ok deal on it...the boat itself seems solid...the motor seemed good...all gears went in fine...one downside though...its not as big as I hoped, but it will get me in the water for now, and off the bank....i was told it was a 14 footer, but its actually a 1232... has a bunch of rod holders, life jackets, trolling motor with footboard, and a humminbird fish finder. Maybe eventually when i get more into the boat stuff, I can get a bigger one.

here is just a quick pic i snapped earlier...im gonna have to learn how to back with something like a boat...not really used to backing up the trailers...i was messing around earlier....jack knifed it too sharp and busted out my truck tail light lens #-o

Attachments

• IMG_20110421_202133.jpg
    IMG_20110421_202133.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 650

Latest posts