solar crawdad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very interested in how this goes. I have often wanted a solar charger for when we boat camp. Every summer we go kokanee fishing for 5 days by the 3rd day both my trolling batts are toast. If I could find or build a solar charger that would charge a large deep cycle in 8 hours I'd be good to go. It wouldn't be on the boat it would stay at camp and I could leave a batt on it all day.

minicuda said:
I'm very interested in how this goes. I have often wanted a solar charger for when we boat camp. Every summer we go kokanee fishing for 5 days by the 3rd day both my trolling batts are toast. If I could find or build a solar charger that would charge a large deep cycle in 8 hours I'd be good to go. It wouldn't be on the boat it would stay at camp and I could leave a batt on it all day.
I wouldn't like to discourage a person trying, but charging in 8 hours via solar panels is difficult and expensive. The original poster's $49 solar panel will take 8 straight sunny days to fully charge a deep cycle battery. You would need to wire several (more than a dozen) of them in parallel (and probably in series as well) just to get the charging completed in less than a few days. And that is under optimal conditions with perfect sunlight. Often something like 80% of the sunlight will result in less than 50% of a charge. So you'll be waiting many days......

A second $50-$60 deep cycle battery will get you much, much farther (or even a third, fourth battery). Of course, as a solar experiment, as long as you have the money and time to attempt such an endeavor, it could be worth trying. But you won't be doing much fishing.

If one is serious about solar charging, I'd suggest trying something easier first (like charging a AA rechargeable nickel metal hydride battery). Spend a little money before you spend a lot. Get the hang of how the charger works, and what its limitations are. After that, if you're not concerned about how much money you're going to spend, take on the challenge of creating a charger for a high amperage deep cycle battery.

justnortherns said:
minicuda said:
I wouldn't like to discourage a person trying, but charging in 8 hours via solar panels is difficult and expensive. The original poster's $49 solar panel will take 8 straight sunny days to fully charge a deep cycle battery. You would need to wire several (more than a dozen) of them in parallel (and probably in series as well) just to get the charging completed in less than a few days. And that is under optimal conditions with perfect sunlight. Often something like 80% of the sunlight will result in less than 50% of a charge. So you'll be waiting many days......

A second $50-$60 deep cycle battery will get you much, much farther (or even a third, fourth battery). Of course, as a solar experiment, as long as you have the money and time to attempt such an endeavor, it could be worth trying. But you won't be doing much fishing.

If one is serious about solar charging, I'd suggest trying something easier first (like charging a AA rechargeable nickel metal hydride battery). Spend a little money before you spend a lot. Get the hang of how the charger works, and what its limitations are. After that, if you're not concerned about how much money you're going to spend, take on the challenge of creating a charger for a high amperage deep cycle battery.

I agree with justnortherns regarding the solar panel and what to expect out of them. I own a bigger panel that puts out much more juice. I wanted to use mine for basically the same thing, charging a deep cycle battery. My battery was for a camper, and panels main purpose was to replenish the battery during the day for any power we used at night. It did help some, yet was not fully recharging the battery even on a sunny day with me moving the panel to keep it pointing towards the sun. I also do not like discouraging anybody from trying to utilize solar power. If it does not fit Kevin's needs, I am sure that he will find a use for the panel to enjoy that free power the sun will be providing for him. Might be at a smaller scale, yet it is still free power.

Matt

minicuda said:

I have a $100 chinese generator that will put out 10amps at 12v. I think it's an All Power 1000w.
Kind of noisy but it's light and quick.

kevinmarshall said:
thanks matt. those words were incouraging. maybe it will go towards a smaller motorcycle battery to keep the smaller accessories running. who knows where it will end up.

Your welcome. justnortherns was the main help for you, I just added a little bit about my experience with my panel.

Matt

Matt,
I work for the local power company here in Pa and have my retirement to think about... that is why I advised against solar power...

:LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:
Now the truth, go for it. I have a friend that has his house off the grid for 7 months out of the year due to the extensive solar panels he runs.
all his lighting in the house is LV led lighting he has gro thermal heating and cooling and I am all for it.

minicuda, like partsman said you can get a generator to recharge your batteries at your fish camp. I always have mine with me when I travel for fishing tournaments. I keep it in my trick and start charging the batteries as soon as the boat is on the trailer..

The Harbor Freight / Northern Tool trailers will be fine for what you are doing. You can also look for an old Jet Ski trailer and add bunks.. or an old 5x8 utility trailer

If you really want to reach farther with renewable energy (and I won't call it 'free' because there are costs associated with solar panels and the like), in addition to solar panels why not try to use what river/lake current you can find to set up a little portable hydroelectric setup?

You could use that to recharge batteries while it was cloudy/at night, or in combination with solar charging.

i was actually looking at wind turbine alternators today just for that idea! looks lie it would be fairly easy to do. maybe connect it to an old lower unit from a trolling motor???

OK so i got the solar panel today and in direct sunlight i was producing a little over 20 volts,and on a dead deep cycle marine battery it was also producing .35 amps. thats all of the info i have. i dont have any idea of the equations to get any more information.

also got done modifying the crawdad will throw on some pics as soon as i can get them from my email.

well, my pictures never came through on my email, but this is where i am at for now. the "tiny-tanic" is getting there, i really like the way it came out. didn't get a chance to start integrating the solar panel because i ran out of sunlight and i just got tired. time for dinner...

Attachments

• tiny-tanic.jpg
    tiny-tanic.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 369
  • crawdad.jpg
    crawdad.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 369
redbug said:
Matt,
I work for the local power company here in Pa and have my retirement to think about... that is why I advised against solar power...

People will always need grid power, so you have no need to worry about how to buy fish bait when that retirement time comes..lol.

kevinmarshall said:
i was actually looking at wind turbine alternators today just for that idea! looks lie it would be fairly easy to do. maybe connect it to an old lower unit from a trolling motor???

One thing that some people use when first getting into wind turbines is use a certain type of a treadmill motor. I checked into making my own since I live on a big hill, but local wind ordinances due to the power companies wanting to restrict people from trying to make their own power. Local wind ordinance restrictions are so strict by me, it somewhat sounds like a child needs to have a permit to fly a kite since it states "all wind powered devices". Before getting into wind power, check your local ordinances. They usually do not mess with solar though.

Matt

wind turbines are very noisy that may be why they are restricted.
If you live far enough from others you have a shot if you file a state appeal
and your town gets any money from the state they will grant you the permit. we have a few land owners here that have residential wind turbines.
but they all sit on at least 30 acres.
as far as solar panels we had a town try to pass an ordinance that only permitted the panels to be installed on the rear on the homes
some people didnt want to look at them. The state told the township if they pass the rule they can say goodbye to any money from the state.

With respect to micro hydroelectric, here's an idea (extremely expensive but innovative) as an alternative/complement to solar:

https://www.absak.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/33_89_90/products_id/3

kevinmarshall said:
wow guys thanks for all of the great advice. i will still press forward with integrating the solar panel, as it will prove useful for extended trips to some lakes i fish, when a battery charger isn't available.

as for the lakes i fish. Right now think the only one that will be any good is coffeen lake. not sure if i spelled it right. its a lake next to a power plant, so the water is warmer all year.

as for a trailer, looked at the harbor freight site and came up with this. https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-boat-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-5002.html

thanks again guys, i knew the solar panel wouldn't keep up with constant use. i just liked the idea of it, and found myself a project while i am currently unemployed.

Kevin,
You might try Rural King for the trailer as well or Craigslist.