Stability comparison

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishjunky

Reaction score
Looking at two different boats.....

How would a 1442 flat bottom Jon compare to a 14' semi V with a 47" bottom width?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336670#p336670 said:
fishjunky » Yesterday, 21:33[/url]"]Looking at two different boats.....

How would a 1442 flat bottom Jon compare to a 14' semi V with a 47" bottom width?

Both are going to be pretty stable boats but I prefer the Vs they have a softer ride in chop - JMHO

Thanks fool4fish. I looked at the semi v. The layout would work but that particular boat is made of .05 aluminum and seemed too flimsy. G3 makes a very similar boat out of .063 (I think). I will check that one out.

I also looked at a Lowe 1440. I like the layout of this little mod v boat. How would its stability compare to the 1442 or a 14' semi v?

At the end of the day they're going to be pretty close,

1442 flat bottoms are very stable. Just like F4F said, you give up a little ride quality compared to a mod V/semi V. In most cases the wider the better for stability but if you have a bunch of deadrise you will loose some of that stability. The perfect shallow water hull IMHO is a mod V with a flat bottom or very little deadrise.

It really comes down to what your preferences are and what you will use the boat for mostly. Good luck with your search.

Yep, what they said. Use and duty will determine which one I'd recommend.

Where are you taking it, what are your expectations, and how long to you intend to own it?

Personally I would not run anything with less than a 48" bottom.