Start issue on 9.9hp Mercury ProKicker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salmon_Slayer_2008_Lund

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an issue with my kicker. It is a 2008 Mercury 9.9 ProKicker. It had this problem since new but it hasn't really bothered me up until 2009 season. The issue is that it won't start properly. It is an electric start and tilt. The primer is on the key fob, you got to push it in while the key is in the start position but not cranking. The dealer told me to have it primed for 5-7 seconds then crank it, the pump for the fuel is always hard before priming so thats not the problem. In order for this motor to start up is if I have the primer pushed on for 20-25 or even 30 seconds. But it starts right away after running.

Maybe cold start issue? During traveling I have the kicker tilted up with the pin holding it. Maybe I need to have the motor tilted down during towing? Any info will be greatful. I am going to address this issue when I pick up the boat from storage in March/early April.

Thanks alot guys!

rudycard72 said:
I used to have an outboard with a similer ploblem, if I pumped the primer bulb before starting it for the day it would be fine.

Ya thats the thing, I do pump the primer bulb until its rock hard. But somehow it doesn't want to start, unless I may be flooding it?