steelflex questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apsauce

Reaction score
Hey guys any help would be greatky appreciated! Just reading some stuff on "everything steelflex". I read that it was good for sealing leaky rivets. Curious if it will seal small crack as well or do I need to find a welder lol. Also read that its a lil exprnsive..does anyone know of a comparible product??

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Repairs should definitely be made before you apply the steelflex. SteelFlex should not be considered a "Fix"

Rebuck or replace the leaky rivets and get that crack sealed.

The only reason I'm using the SF is for peace of mind after my repairs (and that's probably the only good reason to use it). 1 more layer between me and a new leak on a 40 year old tinboat.

The thing to remember is that SF is not a necessity. it's like scotchguard on your furniture. first time you spill grape juice you'll be glad you had it, then again you could just be more careful with your drink.

NaturalLaw said:
Repairs should definitely be made before you apply the steelflex. SteelFlex should not be considered a "Fix"

Rebuck or replace the leaky rivets and get that crack sealed.

The only reason I'm using the SF is for peace of mind after my repairs (and that's probably the only good reason to use it). 1 more layer between me and a new leak on a 40 year old tinboat.

The thing to remember is that SF is not a necessity. it's like scotchguard on your furniture. first time you spill grape juice you'll be glad you had it, then again you could just be more careful with your drink.

Good info =D>

Awesome! Thanks a lot! I had just read on another steelflex thread that people were weary about wekders and it almost sounded like a fix...im deff with you on another layer tho haha. Ill get in touch with a welder then.

I have a 12 ft. Do you think itll take more than a gallon? Also are there comparible products thst dont have to be ordered via phone from fasco?

Thanks so much again!!

I ordered a gallon to do my 12 V and the guy said there will probably be a little left over after 2 coats.

there are other products out there that are 2 part epoxy finishes but not proven for boats like this stuff. 2 important things are UV resistance and flex. after looking at MSDS sheets for part of a day i found you usually don't get both of those in an alternative.

Latest posts