Step One: Clean and Paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenchicken

Reaction score
Sadly my summer on Big Bear Lake is over and me and my 14" AlumaCraft we be spending our weekends in my driveway.

For those who haven't read some of my previous post this is my very first adventure in boating and I plan to do a full conversion between now and May 2015.

Step one is going to be to clean and paint the hull. What should I do? How should I prep the surface for painting? What paints should I use?

I am sure a spray gun would be best, and I do own one, but I would rather use brushes and rollers. I don't want the over spray to go over my house or my neighbors cars and I not going to construct a frame of 2x4 and plastic.

Research is your friend, the search feature is great on this forum as well.
I can say from experience:
DO IT RIGHT, do it light
DO IT WRONG, do it long.

Prep on aluminum is key to proper adhesion.
Wire wheel/cup brush ALL pain off to bare aluminum. It should look like thisImageUploadedByTapatalk1410150223.800391.jpg
Wipe down with acetone then tack cloth to get "fuzzies" off so they don't cause bubbles in the paint. Immediately acid etch or go straight to self etching primer and go LIGHT! Do not try to completely cover the aluminum, just go light. You will see aluminum through the primer.
Let it sit about 20 minutes then immediately top coat. Once again, go LIGHT! The first coat will not cover. Let it sit until the first coat won't stick to your finger ( inconspicuous area) then apply second coat, third coat, then either fourth coat or finish. You can clear coat or leave it, I recommend clear coat for maximum luster but mine was fine without it.

greenchicken said:
Can you advise as to what brand paint I should buy?
I used Tasco two part urethane epoxy topcoat and two part primer. If you don't want to spend $200 then check out Duralux, it is great for boats.

Thanks, when search for Duralux and also found Amazing GOOP Coat-It. ANy opinions on that product?

Latest posts