Straightening a prop?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
So it happened again, Bent my prop again today. I was loading it on the boat, and didn't happen to notice the big stick that floated in behind my boat...I had to hit reverse to re-aim it on the trailer, and BAM...heard a big thump. Got it loaded and pulled out, and sure enough...it is bent again. It bent the same blade that I bent last time, and its about the same as it was last time(about 2inches or so in from the tip of the blade). I messed with a little bit when I got home and bend it back straight, now I just gotta shape it back smooth. Just wondering if you guys have ever had to do this, and if you had any suggestions on finishing shaping the tip of the fin.

BTW, Buying a new one at the moment isn't an option. :(

The best tip that I have seen for that is to cast a concrete mold of your prop (before it is bent, of course :oops: ).

Then, if you bend it, you can lay the prop in your mold and hammer it back straight with a rubber mallet.

I stronly suggest that you take it to a prop repair shop and have it correctly straightened and balanced. Even with a small engine there is a lot of force at the prop - if it is out of shape and out of balance you risk doing additional harm to your seals and bearings at the shaft.

i agree with ahab take it in for repair and start savig for a stainless then use yours for a spare

Well, The thing is at the moment, I'm broke as a joke. :lol: So I just need to get it straightened out as best I can at the moment to do me another few weeks til I can get another one. I've got a friend coming down from KY this weekend to fish, so I need something to get me by.

Like I said, I messed with it when I got home and got it pretty well straightened out, and I am going to mess with it a little more to get it back as close as possible.

There isn't any chunks or anything taken out of it, it was just bent. So I guess i'm just wanting to know, if I get it back to shape within the visible eye, is it still going to cause vibration/balance issues if I run it for another couple weeks as-is?

it could be fine but it could cause severe damage to your lower unit have you even checked with a prop shop about the cost?
might not be that bad to have someone who knows what they are doing fix it.
paying a few bucks now may save you big bucks in the future

You can get one fixed for under $50, and that is having big chunks filled back in.

A buddy hit a submerged chunk rock dike that he didn't know was there on the river about a month ago.

Well, The thing is....I've got a buddy coming down from Ky to fish saturday and I know I won't be able have it repaired by then anyway...even if I had the money(which I don't). So if I get it back in pretty well matching shape, Would I still risk having seal issues? I can't see how it being just slightly(barely even noticable) out of shape could hurt it for a trip or two. :?

It all depends on how out of balance it winds up and how much running you do.

I've seen props run for a long time with some pretty good gashes missing out of them with no seal damage.

I hope it works out for you I wouldn't take the chance
good luck with your choice bring some paddles

acronym: BOAT Break Out Another Thousand (boating slang)
definition:
boat: noun... a hole in the water in which you throw money

Quackrstackr said:
It all depends on how out of balance it winds up and how much running you do.

I've seen props run for a long time with some pretty good gashes missing out of them with no seal damage.

Like I said, There isn't any chunks taken out of it or anything, no gashes or anything. It just bent when it hit that stick. So the material(weight) is still there, just might not be down the the 1/100's inch of its original shape.

You have a nice boat/motor.
You could give it a try BUT you might have to put up with the conciquencies,alot more money later.
Credit card??I hate using them but sometimes...

Welp, I am going to heed your guys suggestions and just get a new(reconditioned) prop. I found one in a town about an hour south of me that my buddy is going to pick up for me. Its the same prop as mine, just reconditioned for 75 bucks. Called around on prices of a new one and they average 120-125 bucks. So for now, I'm just gonna go with the cheaper one(putting it on a CC... :? ). Probably take this one to them sometime and have it reshaped and keep it as a spare.