Strengthening a transom.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ha ha- let me take the chance that someone is reading these threads currently and ask where i might find or order or buy
new, proper transom knee brace for my old/new-to-me 1436. former owner apparently replaced the transom which is good enough for a trolling motor, but there is no bracing at all. i'd like to hang a 4hp on the back but would rather be safe than wet.

ha ha- let me take the chance that someone is reading these threads currently and ask where i might find or order or buy
new, proper transom knee brace for my old/new-to-me 1436. former owner apparently replaced the transom which is good enough for a trolling motor, but there is no bracing at all. i'd like to hang a 4hp on the back but would rather be safe than wet.
I made my own transom brackets. Bought 3/4 electrical conduit, smashed the ends with a sledge to flatten. Bent them to the angle of boat floor and transom and bought the transom brace from TB nation. I added 3 of the braces. Trans is now very sturdy, tuned a 10 hp on it. Hope this helps ya out.Bryan

I made my own transom brackets. Bought 3/4 electrical conduit, smashed the ends with a sledge to flatten. Bent them to the angle of boat floor and transom and bought the transom brace from TB nation. I added 3 of the braces. Trans is now very sturdy, tuned a 10 hp on it. Hope this helps ya out.Bryan

Attachments

• 20230819_063827.jpg
    20230819_063827.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230819_063819.jpg
    20230819_063819.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230819_063701.jpg
    20230819_063701.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230819_063710.jpg
    20230819_063710.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2
Thank you, Bryan. Very helpful. Didnt quite understand what you bought from TIN Boat if you made the brace out of conduit. Did you drill through boat bottom and seal the holes? Appreciate your response. I'm feeling my way along here.

Tiny boat nation has a steel sleeve that slides over transom and reinforces it. It's a 100.00 its called transom bracket on their site, but well worth the money. Brackets I made from the electrical conduit I mounted to boat bottom support beam one inside that goes across boatfrom gunwall to gunwall. I did NOT drill holes through the bottom of boat.

Attachments

• 20230819_063701.jpg
    20230819_063701.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
Tiny boat nation has a steel sleeve that slides over transom and reinforces it. It's a 100.00 its called transom bracket on their site, but well worth the money. Brackets I made from the electrical conduit I mounted to boat bottom support beam one inside that goes across boatfrom gunwall to gunwall. I did NOT drill holes through the bottom of boat.
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'd still like to find a 45 degree angle brace from Tran to floor .

Good with your knee brace looked for months to no avail found none. It will have to be fabricated by a welder or machinist. Best of luck to ya.

Bryan. Following your lead, we used galvanized conduit to run direct from transom, using existing through-bolts, to attach to bench seat w SS bolts. Looks very sturdy. Ben