Suitable motor for my vintage Aroliner?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camhart

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 1950's 15' aluminum Aroliner made in St. Boniface, MB. It was originally a console-steer runabout, but I've cut the bow back, and removed the console. I'm gonna turn it into a vintage fishing boat with a tiller.

I need an outboard, would this be suitable? I have an electric trolling motor off the back, is 33hp too much for my boat?
https://www.swanvalleyclassifieds.ca/index.php?a=2&b=4225

Also, I think I need short shaft as my transom is only about 16 inches. Does that Evinrude look to be short shaft? Are there any parts available for an oldie like that, or do I just hope it stays together. What is reliability like for those older outboards?

I like the fact that this old engine will kinda match the vintage lines of my boat. If it runs well, I may snag the engine and then just sell the fiberglass boat/trailer.

Thanks for any advice!
-Cam

That 33 looks BIG but it would probably work. Your boat can handle 33hp.
That is a short shaft on that boat.
You can pick up those older motors fairly cheap like around $300 or so. I wouldn't buy the whole boat package since the boat is probably rotted and worthless. That old trailer ain't worth much either.

You can still get parts for those old motors. They're suppose to be reliable. There is more to maintain then newer motors since they run off points.

Thanks for the reply. I also have an option to pick up a mid-80's (I'm guessing) 20 HP Evinrude for $500. It's been serviced, so probably the more reliable engine. 20HP will work great for fishing, but I'm hoping to pull my kids around on a tube also, so that's why the 33HP had some appeal I guess. They don't know about the tube thing yet, but they'll be stoked! lol

You can turn that 20hp motor into a 25, 30, or 35hp motor with a carb swap and a possibly an intake manifold (unless you can bore the existing one out to accommodate the larger throat of the new carb.

You might have a tough time getting going pulling a tube with a 20hp motor but it can probably be done as long as you have a light payload in your boat. I can pull a tube fairly easy with my 15' aluminum boat and 25hp motor.

Dang, thanks for the heads up on the carb swap! That is awesome. I like the idea of more HP without more weight on the back of my boat.

Latest posts