Sunday 2/22/09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Jake and myself headed out around noon to look for some open water. 1st pond was only about 25% frozen but of course the ice was over the spots where we wanted to fish. We tried the open water areas for about an hour without hooking anything but a few sticks and some leaves. I did manage to loose a jig and pig in an overhanging tree and if this pond freezes again I am going after it!

Second pond had minimal ice. Soon after we arrived Jake hook into a fish that surfaces and pops off. He is now 0/2 for FW fishing in 09. It is lightly snowing / raining and getting cold. We stay for another 30 minutes or so and make a move.

Third spot does not look promising, as we arrive the nearby pond is 90% ice covered - finding some open water with the temps hovering near freezing is tough. I initially tell Jake we should bag it as I figured it was not even worth walking to the lake. Just as I turn the fish van around the sun peeks out and I change my mind.

This last spot is only about 25% ice covered and the water was open where I wanted to fish. On my third or forth cast I hook (and land) a small LM Bass on a Husky Jerk. I switch up to a jig and pig without a tap. Clown X-rap gets the next two LM bass, nothing that big but still great to catch something in the icy water.

Jake finally gets a fish on and, for some unknown reason, starts saying "do not come off, do not come off" as he is landing the bass. I cannot believe my ears, everyone knows this is the perfect jinx! Of course, Jake gets the bass to about 1" of water and the treble hook on his his jerk bait catches a small stick and we both watch the now unhooked fish sit for a moment in the shallows and then splash back to the main lake. Fish 3 Jake 0

The wind picks up and it is now getting very chilly. We fish for another 45 minutes but we both realize that we cannot feel our feet from standing in the frozen mud. We limp home - happy that we got to fish a little.

Jake is already planning his revenge - beware fishes

Jake has the photos of my three bass and should post them up

Sorry about your luck Jake, you'll get em next time. Atleast you were able to get out and wet a line with a friend. Glad you got some pullage Dave, thanks for the report. Lets see those pics :)

Way to stick out the weather... when will the waters in your area be un-iced?

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't fish... I guess I would just throw it on top of the ice to get the fever down... or perfect my talent of squirrel fishing - there is always a squirrel in a tree somewhere down here in Atlanta

russ010 said:
Way to stick out the weather... when will the waters in your area be un-iced?

Some small water to my south is already un-iced - just have to deal with the skim ice that forms at night. To my north (I live on the north side of the beginning of a mountain range) the lakes and ponds still have a few inches or more of ice.

So, we should be ice free by the second week of March (come on global warming!!)

Ill get those pesky fish next time [-o< Dave neglected to mention that we fished the Delaware on saturday and he could not coax his pet pickerel to bite, after an hour or so I hooked him on a jerk bait...of course it popped off seconds later. Also, when we decided to move to another spot Dave made one more cast and casted his beloved clown X-rap into the river....I had to hook it for him, as his casting abilities were lacking.

Anyway, here are Dave's Lunkers

Fish 1
22209davelm1f.jpg

Fish 2
22209davelm2f.jpg

Fish 3
22209davelm3f.jpg

nice looking fish wont be long before those tree have some green..

we all need to work together to

bring back global warming

Nice catching! Capt. you should of let him catch at least one.

I don't know what ya'll are talking about "Ice on the water", the water temp was 64 degrees yesterday. I do not see how you deal with temps like that. The one time I saw our water get a little ice around the bank, we had a massive fish kill. That was probably over 10 years ago. I guess our fish are like us and can not deal with that cold of temps.

congrads on the catch seeing that open water sure gets the blood pumping we should have some open water up here by the end of april unless things warm up alot

Latest posts