The 2010 Official Vegetable Garden thread!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is really starting to come in, but....

I caught this trespasser raiding it on my surveilance camera just last night.

producetm.jpg

:lol:

Had radishes for the last month, first mess of peas today, and string beans. Wild blueberries for a week, now, and high bush should start by the first of nect week.

Blueberries are about done. Beans for the last couple weeks, cucumbers coming strong. Lotsa tomatoes, but still green, no ripe ones.

I only have 2 blueberry bushes,it's pretty neat how many berries out of one bush and there not big.
If I can keep the birds out of them,I should get acouple quarts.
There just getting good now.

hardwatergrampa said:
how do you guys cook the zuchini on the grill

Cut into 3/4 into to 1 inch discs. Then brush with olive oil on both sides, salt and pepper. Thats it. 4-5 minutes per side till they get marked up from the grill.

And whatever else is next to it....medium rare. :mrgreen:

As my first official post in the Vegetable Garden thread, I'm just now starting to get some quantity of tomatoes coming in. Took mine and combined them with his and we canned some tomato juice. We got a bunch more coming in and this coming week sometime we're gonna tackle canning whole(or quartered) tomatoes.

I give you guys props. I see my neighbor outside everyday picking, turning dirt, weeding, and watering and what not. I would have already pulled it up and mulched it. I thought about starting a garden this year but decided againt it, Maybe next year. :roll: I by no means have a green thumb, And every time I walk outside the neighbors tomatos are hanging over my fence. Just mocking me. I did have a tomato plant growing in my gravel drive some how, But the dog killed it.

Attachments

• Picture 497 (Large).jpg
    Picture 497 (Large).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Picture 498 (Large).jpg
    Picture 498 (Large).jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 255
Jim said:
hardwatergrampa said:
how do you guys cook the zuchini on the grill

Cut into 3/4 into to 1 inch discs. Then brush with olive oil on both sides, salt and pepper. Thats it. 4-5 minutes per side till they get marked up from the grill.

And whatever else is next to it....medium rare. :mrgreen:
thanks jim havent had them on the grill before have to give them a try with some deerbuger

Bubba said:
As my first official post in the Vegetable Garden thread, I'm just now starting to get some quantity of tomatoes coming in. Took mine and combined them with his and we canned some tomato juice. We got a bunch more coming in and this coming week sometime we're gonna tackle canning whole(or quartered) tomatoes.
my tomatoes were just getting to the picking stage went down to the garden to pick a frew but the wifes chickens beat me to them :evil: told her if they get in there again we would be eating chicken soup all winter :LOL2: have you tried freezen your tomatoes

I would guesstamate they are 7 and a half feet or so. I talked to him last night about his garden, He told me he set out 20 tomatos, 15 peppers not all the same type, 6 squash, and some others I can't remember. He said he has already canned more tomatos the fried veggie mix then the past few years combined so with the rest he is giving away or making salsa with. I asked about how much they are producing a week and quote, "enough to make a gallon and a half to two gallons of salsa a day." It is hard to believe how big those things are. Its so dry here aswell I can't even keep my grass green and he has that crap.

hardwatergrampa said:
Bubba said:
my tomatoes were just getting to the picking stage went down to the garden to pick a frew but the wifes chickens beat me to them :evil: told her if they get in there again we would be eating chicken soup all winter :LOL2: have you tried freezen your tomatoes

No, We haven't tried freezing them. Seems like I heard my dad mention something about that, but I think he said he wasn't crazy about them....compared to canned anyway.

Some of my plants are starting to look abit sad, I think they may be getting some sort of blight(sp?) or something. I just got in from picking bugs off of some of them....mostly stinkbugs, but a few worms and such as well. But I don't think they are really whats causing the damage to the plant though.

These were taken in June. Everything is much biggerer now. Tomatoes are taller than the stakes, Cukes are sprawling all over, Beans will swallow you up if you are foolish enough to enter without some sort of tether line :shock:

The first picture is a basic shot as you come around the corner of my house into the back yard.

garden003.jpg

The second shot is of the Cucumbers on the right with Carrots in the foreground and 4 Zucchini plants behind the Carrots.

garden004.jpg

Third is a shot of my Sweet 100 plant from a Possum’s point of view. Gotta get rid of that danged animal one of these days.

garden005.jpg

Finally are my Beans. These are supposed to be Bush Beans but some of the “bushes” are 4 feet tall if you pick them up. Chives along the fence and one, count it, one, Parsley plant that self seeded from last year. Last year’s crop of Parsley was humongous and they were all self seeded from the year before.

garden006.jpg
[/quote]

I just finished my 8th batch of pesto. We're supposed to get frost on Saturday night and we'll be gone for the weekend so it's harvest time. I make it without the parmesan and put it in ice cube trays to freeze. Once frozen they go a half-dozen to a bag and back to the freezer. Yummy!

Latest posts