The anatomy of the Fuel Primer - Squeeze Bulb

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
If you are experiencing fuel delivery problems with your motor,
There are a number of things that can affect the fuel flow . . . .
Starting with the Fuel Tank, the VENT must be OPEN to allow proper air flow.
The quick connects must have a good seal with the O-rings.
The quick connects must grip firmly with the clips to prevent air suction.
All hose clamps must be tight and firm.
gas fitting 009.JPG
gas fitting 012.JPG
O-Rings.jpg
quick connect.jpg
Now, that covers the Fuel Line . . . This is where a LOT of minor problems
can turn into major irritating frustrations rather quickly !!

Upon going through a couple of days worth of these frustrations, I took my time
to fully inspect and adjust all of the above. I knew the fuel pump was working as it should.
So through elimination, I narrowed the problem down to the squeeze bulb itself. I REPLACED IT.
Then, everything worked fine.
This is when I carefully did an autopsy on the dead carcass of the Fuel Primer Bulb. I had never
seen the inside of one before and did not really know the internals at all.........
This is what I found.
Primer Bulb.JPG
There is a rubber bladder inside the bulb that holds the fuel - - - any small hole can disrupt
the siphon process without you being able to detect it from the outside.
There is no need to replace the entire fuel line assembly, just the primer bulb itself and put in
new hoses and hose clamps. That is depending on IF the O-rings in the quick connects are not
dry rotted and cracked causing air to be sucked into the line, thus breaking the siphon of fuel.
If you can find new O-rings, I guess you can dig out the old ones and replace them (I don't know)
While you have the line apart, install a 4" plastic clear FUEL FILTER in-line above the primer bulb close
to the motor so it can hang in the vertical position.

Hope this helps to shed some light on some of the Fuel Gremlins we must deal with on our outboards .

The problem with a gummed up bulb is it will work well enough to get it running then once on the water it starts cutting out. The last one I cleaned had a check valve and ball in each end. I cleaned the sludge and put it back together. Test it before you put the lines on to see if it sucks and pushes in the right direction. The ends are different and one way.

Latest posts