Tinboats tournament of champions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tournament time

• Same format (3 small tournaments)

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Tournament of champions

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
How about a mixed species tournament where you have a point system.

For example here is a ice tournament by me.

Scoring-

Fish will be scored on the basis of weight converted to points.

Each two person team may only score the following number of fish.
* 2 walleye per team
* 1 pike per team
* 2 bass per team
* 5 crappie per team
* 5 perch per team
* 5 sunfish per team
* 1 eelpout, 1 cisco, 1 whitefish, 1 carp or 1 sucker per team-
-(note only 1 of these rough fish will be allowed and eelpout will be scored at .5 points per pound)

Once a fish is weighed, that fish will go towards that teams total.
Once a tourney limit of any species is scored, no other fish from that species will be recorded. All slot sizes and limits will be observed. Game law violations will be cause for disqualification from the event. No refunds. You must take care of your own fish after weigh-ins are complete.
Event Scoring System is as Follows:

# 1 pound of Walleye/Sauger = 1 point
# 1 pound of Bass = 1 point
# 1 pound of Pike = 1 points
# 1 pound of Perch= 1 point
# 1 pound of Sunfish=1 points
# 1 pound of Crappie=1 points
# 1 pound of Eelpout=.5 points
# 1 pound of Carp/Sucker=1 points
# 1 pound of Cisco/Whitefish=1 points

-----

So a list of species is set-up and point values assigned. Then you have the entire season to fill your slots. If you catch a better fish then you had in a slot you can update your catch.

Late comers can get into it any time they are just limited by the end of the tournament. I would convert the weights to lengths though since photos can show length. Highest point total at the end wins.

hah! Eelpout are nasty. And the nastiest part is that if you grab the hook they wrap around your arm like a snake. Oh, did I mention how slimey they are? :)

The similarity of these two pictures should sum up eelpout festival. Some actual fishing goes on too.

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Sounds like a good idea, however I do have one concern if this is based on weight by species.
Generally fish in teh warmer climates grow bigger faster and there are more of them than places in colder climates. Bass for example, not going to find near as many 10 pounders in Central Illinois compared to say Texas or Florida. In fact a 10 pounder in Illinois could be a new state record.

To even that out maybe we could adjust the points based on the record fish per state.
Large mouth Bass state record
Tenn is 14.8 while Montana is 8.8 pounds. If we go by weight alone the northern guys have a serious disadvantage.
How about a percentage based on teh state record? For example a guy in Tenn catches a 10 pounder and a guy in Montana catches a 6 pounder. The formula is simple
10/14.8*100= 67.57%
6/8.8*100= 68.18%
The guy in Montana wins.

Didn't mean to end the conversation, just tossing out ideas to make this a fair event.

Im in regardless, it'll give me a goal for each fishing trip.

I say we do it by number of fish cuaght - with photos and a minimum size - No weight because dealing with the scales is a PITA!

The contestants paired can deal with species.

By way of example - If i am paired with Popeye we might agree on Bluegills - minimum size 6" and most fish over a two day period wins!

After a beat the snot out of Popeye, Fishcop and i might agree on LM Bass most fish over 12" on one day wins - after a score of 37 to zero I would move on the next round

You see what I mean

Oh yeah - make sure my name is spelled correctly in the TinBoats Trophy please

That sounds reasonable. Thinking hte pic should include a preselected item to eliminate previous pics. Not saying members are cheaters, just trying to remove the temptation. :lol:

Captain Ahab said:
I say we do it by number of fish cuaght - with photos and a minimum size - No weight because dealing with the scales is a PITA!

By way of example - If i am paired with Popeye we might agree on Bluegills - minimum size 6" and most fish over a two day period wins!

After a beat the snot out of Popeye, Fishcop and i might agree on LM Bass most fish over 12" on one day wins - after a score of 37 to zero I would move on the next round

You see what I mean

Hummmmm, me thinks Popeye and I should team up and kick everyones a**, especialy that whale-huntin' guy, you know, the Capt ahab.jpgArab

I like the idea of a tournament. I think that it should be a bracket or a double elimination. If a bracket is used then there can be several fisherman out fishing at a time and moving on. We don't have much to fish for down here. We have bass, white bass, a few places have hybrid bass, cats, bluegills, and crappie (but the lakes I fish they are few and far between, the bass eat them) So I am really stuck with Bass, whites and cats. I don't know how ya'll's population of bluegills is, but we can sink a boat with them here.

Lets hear some more ideas.

Bubba said:
What about a points thing? The larger the fish, the more the points?

Like me for instance....Here lately Musky has been my thing....but I might only catch 1-2 of those a month if I really go after them(and lucky) every weekend. A musky would be more points, but obviously someone fishing for bass would catch more numbers...so they would be abit less. Then panfish would be abit less than bass...because usually you can catch more of those than you would bass.

Just throwing this out....

Musky - 5-6 points
Bass, Pickerel, Pike, walleye over 20 inches - 3 points
Bass, Pickerel, walleye under 20 - 2 points
Bluegill, crappie, etc - 1 point

Feel free to blow it down. :lol:

Musky,pike, pickerel, and walleye would be out of reach here way down south. what about bass, pan fish of choice and catfish? as a possibility. along the line of thinking of fish that are indigenous to most areas that ALL members live in.... Just a thought?

Captain Ahab said:
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read this from the beginning - it is a pretty simple idea

Agree!

I think my concept will be the easiest and fairest for everyone no matter where you live.

Only you and the person your picked to fish against make the rules.

You two decide what species, what lures, what times....whatever. As long as you both agree, that is all that matters for each round.

I read the whole thread and pretty much understand it except for one small point of interest...

How in the world does Ahab, think he could beat the snot out of me if we were targeting Blue Gills?

Jim said:
Captain Ahab said:
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read this from the beginning - it is a pretty simple idea

Agree!

I think my concept will be the easiest and fairest for everyone no matter where you live.

Only you and the person your picked to fish against make the rules.

You two decide what species, what lures, what times....whatever. As long as you both agree, that is all that matters for each round.

I reread it. sorry I did speak out of turn I guess I get what your saying now..... LOL Blond moment... This is actually is a GREAT idea for a tourney...... I like the idea of an extended one as well.....

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving....

Popeye said:
I read the whole thread and pretty much understand it except for one small point of interest...

How in the world does Ahab, think he could beat the snot out of me if we were targeting Blue Gills?

I am so confident in my 'gill catching ability that I will beat you two to one! Yes, that is right, I will more then double your total [-X

Captain Ahab said:

You see what I mean

After we went full circle I think this is probably going to be the best idea. I was thinking of ways that will force people after fish they don't normally fish for. For example I have the feeling I am going to have to chase around all those large mouth and small mouth rough fish more then I would prefer. Either way I think a side bet between the two people can be include. I.E. looser sends a lure to the winner.