Tracker 1436 help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbeals05

Reaction score
Hery everyone, new to the forums and just got a Tracker 1436. Im wanting to use 3/4" plywood to make bench seats but i have no clue how i would secure them to the boat. I dont want to drill holes in the boat and destroy it because i have no clue what im doing. So what would be the best way to secure it to the boat?

I am facing the same dilemna with my 1664 tracker as i plan to install carpeted plywood on the benches. I am going to use Rivet Nuts (also called nutserts). They are internally threaded low profile inserts that crush up like a very thick rivet yet the internal threads remain repeatedly usable.

Here is the tool i have: https://www.rivetsonline.com/to-aa184.html

Here is a cool tool to install them: https://www.rivetnuttool.com/ (towards the bottom of the page there is a demo video of their tool that shows you how a rivet nut works)

Basically you drill the specified size hole in the bench seat, screw the insert snug by hand onto the tool, insert into the hole you drilled and tighten the bolt on the tool with a wrench while holding the collar of the tool still with another wrench. When it cinches up tight (2-4 turns usually) you back the bolt completely out of the insert and move on to the next hole/insert.

You can also make your own tool by drilling the proper size hole in a fairly long (so you can hold it) piece of fairly thick flat stock metal, a washer and a proper sized bolt. Run the bolt through the washer (lube washer well so it turns freely) then through the flat stock and thread the insert on by hand till snug. Put the insert in the hole, hold the tool in one hand and tighten the bolt tight (not super tight). back bolt out completely and move to next hole.

I'm going to drill my plywood where i want the bolts then lay it on the seat and scribe marks so i know where to drill. I plan to use the inserts for 1/4-20 bolts and will use stainless trim rings or washers between the bolt and carpet to spread the clamping force. I will likely also use a little locktite on the bolts to ensure they dont back out on me.

Lots of ways to skin a cat when installing plywood to bench seats this is just mine.

dbeals05 said:
Hery everyone, new to the forums and just got a Tracker 1436. Im wanting to use 3/4" plywood to make bench seats but i have no clue how i would secure them to the boat. I dont want to drill holes in the boat and destroy it because i have no clue what im doing. So what would be the best way to secure it to the boat?

Are you adding a plywood top to existing seats or are there no seats in the boat?

Check this out, another
possibility. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14276

dbeals05 said:

You might try liquid nails (or something like it). Post a picture of your boat if you can along with a drawing or schematic of what you want to and it will help us help you. Most of us will just screw / bolt then to the existing benches.

I'm pretty much trying to almost copy cali27's boat mod. (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13357) im gonna be doing the exact same bench seats, just not sure how to secure them to the boat. I get some pictures of my boat and plans for it on tonight

dbeals05 said:
I'm pretty much trying to almost copy cali27's boat mod. (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13357) im gonna be doing the exact same bench seats, just not sure how to secure them to the boat. I get some pictures of my boat and plans for it on tonight

Cool, after looking at his he appears to had use bolts (probably lag bolt) to attach his. Looking forward to the pictures.

Nevillizer said:
dbeals05 said:

Cool, after looking at his he appears to had use bolts (probably lag bolt) to attach his. Looking forward to the pictures.

How exactly would i attach the lag bolts? Would i put them through the plywood and the boat? or just the plywood?

Welcome aboard sir!!! :D It would be easy to just treat the wood, carpet it, then toggle bolt them to the existing seats. Here is what a toggle bolt is.

toggle.JPG

perchin said:
Welcome aboard sir!!! :D It would be easy to just treat the wood, carpet it, then toggle bolt them to the existing seats. Here is what a toggle bolt is.

Toggle bolts seem to be the best option. Any certain size? Because im a bigger guy, 6'2 220lb and dont want it to break on me :D

I held down my seats with 5/16" toggles.... I could of got away with 1/4 20's though. Just make sure all your hardware is Stainless Steel.

perchin said:
I held down my seats with 5/16" toggles.... I could of got away with 1/4 20's though. Just make sure all your hardware is Stainless Steel.

This may sound like a dumb question, but why only stainless steel? I'm doing a build on a 1436 as well.

Hooky1420 said:
perchin said:

This may sound like a dumb question, but why only stainless steel? I'm doing a build on a 1436 as well.

not a dumb question.... a good question. :D

Just steel, will rust imediatly..... and reacts with aluminum fast, causing oxidization and problems.

Zinc, will last a little while but also reacts fast with aluminum and also causes oxidization.

Stainless Steel, wont rust, and reacts the least of all of em with aluminum.

perchin said:
Zinc, will last a little while but also reacts fast with aluminum and also causes oxidization.

The only holes I made in the boat were ones I was using pop rivets on. I think that they are zinc if i'm not wrong... but I also painted the exposed metal first and squirted a little bit of silicone in there to provide a buffer between the two metals. hope that works, i'm going on this with no experience whatsoever.

Hooky1420 said:
perchin said:

The only holes I made in the boat were ones I was using pop rivets on. I think that they are zinc if i'm not wrong... but I also painted the exposed metal first and squirted a little bit of silicone in there to provide a buffer between the two metals. hope that works, i'm going on this with no experience whatsoever.

If your using pop rivets, I'm assuming your not going thru hull.. with that in mind you'll probably be fine. If out side the boat and below the water line... I would worry more.

Getting into this stuff and moding, is like drugs..... unfortunatley this site is not your rehab. :LOL2: you'll love it.

perchin said:
If your using pop rivets, I'm assuming your not going thru hull.. with that in mind you'll probably be fine. If out side the boat and below the water line... I would worry more.

Getting into this stuff and moding, is like drugs..... unfortunatley this site is not your rehab. :LOL2: you'll love it.

No...no pop rivets through the hull. Just on the ribs and the bench seats only. I'm scared to death about putting any holes in the hull. Been extra careful about that. And as far as being addicted... I'm hooked like a bass on a Gamakatsu. I know that this site is fueling the fire, and I love it.

Ditto to all. Side bar - If you find the necessity comes up where you will have to make a hole in your hull don't be to worried about it you can get closed end rivets that are water tight and seal up with some 3M 5200 sealant as a precaution. As long as you are careful in the process punching a hole in the hull isn't that big of a concern.

i am doing the same thing with my 1448 semi v. what size toggle bolts are you using and what size hole gets drilled into the bench seat. i will assume the bolts are going through the carpet from the top. also, what about the foam under the bench? #1 - do i drill through that (about 3 inches) and put the bolt through the foam? or #2 - just drill through the aluminum top so the toggle hits the aluminum above the foam. i am guessing #2, but figured i would ask anyway.