Tracker Jons - typical problem spots?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS62

Reaction score
I am headed out to look at an 18ft (1872) Tracker in a few hours and thought I see if I could get a few quick responses before I go. I am not sure what year it is. This is a completely stripped down, bare metal boat and looks to be a good starting point for a project.

- No carpet, no seats, no console. The foam (in the front at least) has been removed. I am not sure if there is any in the rear.
- No front deck (at least not attached anyway.) I hope he has the material. I don't think the fuel tank is there either.

I have seem some transom issues with some trackers here on the forum, but that is all I know to be an issue with these boats. Any suggestions on what to look out for other than general boat issues?

thanks!

KRS

Might measure it, I am not familiar with an 1872 Tracker. 1860 or 2072 have been their standard sizes for some time. I would check all the ribs for cracking or broken welds, and look under the hull to see if any broken welds went through the hull. Check the corners of the transom at the braces, and check the keel while you're underneath.

Broken welds tend to be a hallmark of tracker. They aren't deal killers as a good welder can fix you right up, but Tracker customer/Warranty service gets a lot of bad press in regard to the issue.

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=367276#p367276 said:
Lowe 2070 CC » 11 minutes ago[/url]"]
Broken welds tend to be a hallmark of tracker. They aren't deal killers as a good welder can fix you right up, but Tracker customer/Warranty service gets a lot of bad press in regard to the issue.

Do you think this is true of the larger boats or all Tracker boats? Seems that larger boats could have weld problems if the engineering was such that the material thicknesses and number/size of the ribs were inadequate. I have a 1448 (2008) and maybe it is too new to have had enough stresses to affect the welds. It's interesting but I hope not endemic to all their boats...

Thanks yall. I went ahead and brought it home. $550 (I gave him $560.) I didn't measure it, but I think it could be a 17'. I will after it stops raining. Either way, it is wider and longer than current boat so I grabbed it. It is going to take a LOT of work. I plan to finish taking it down to nothing and then building her back up.

- There is at least one cracked rib in the very front. I expect there could be more.
- I think the transom wood will need replacing, but not sure.
- Foam in rear seems okay, but might be best to pull it out start new.
- trailer seems solid enough, but needs a little work.

I am planning on picking up a welder in the next 6 months and eventually start welding on this thing. I have a long night ahead of me reviewing all the tracker builds on tinboats!!!

KRS

Attachments

• IMG_20140929_125140.jpg
    IMG_20140929_125140.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_20140929_125156a.jpg
    IMG_20140929_125156a.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 829
Cool, this is one of my favorite Tracker Builds here.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26183&hilit=fighting+lady+yellow

[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=367278#p367278 said:
bobberboy » Today, 11:36[/url]"]
[url=https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?p=367276#p367276 said:
Lowe 2070 CC » 11 minutes ago[/url]"]

Do you think this is true of the larger boats or all Tracker boats? Seems that larger boats could have weld problems if the engineering was such that the material thicknesses and number/size of the ribs were inadequate. I have a 1448 (2008) and maybe it is too new to have had enough stresses to affect the welds. It's interesting but I hope not endemic to all their boats...

Any welded Tin is subject to break welds given enough pounding. Things like added weight, Hp, and rough water add to the probability). Tracker has received a lot of bad press on the issue, then again they have sold a lot of boats.

Thats a nice boat and a great price. Look forward to seeing what it comes out like.

Latest posts