Trailers that use a 2X4 on winch stand instead of rubber

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
My trailer for my flat bottom/flat front jon boat currently uses a rubber block, with a flat front. The problem is it's only about about 4" wide, so there's some wiggling going on there. If I convert it to a 2X4, can that be done without any welding? Is there a special bracket that I can bolt on? If anyone has any pics that would be great. Thanks.

This is how I did mine.

Attachments

• IMG_5664.JPG
    IMG_5664.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 3,244
  • IMG_5662.JPG
    IMG_5662.JPG
    495 KB · Views: 3,244
Thanks. The white tubing with the wood mounted on it, was that already on the trailer, or did you weld it on? That's what I want to do with mine, but I have to figure out how. I'll see if my daughter can figure out how to post a pic of my trailer front.

are you asking about the winch post? some are welded on, but majority have a "foot" that is U-bolted to the tongue to allow adjustment. if you look again at the first photo, you'd see the bolts sticking up. not sure if i'm right, the snow could be playing tricks on me......

thank you lckstckn2smknbrls, i'll be copying your bow stopper.

I do not have any pics of mine but it is very similar to the pic that is posted. I cut 2 pieces of angle iron and mounted them using bolts. I covered the 2X4 with carpet like is shown in the pic. It helps stabilize the boat while on trailer better than what was on it when I bought it.

Andy Taylor said:
Thanks. The white tubing with the wood mounted on it, was that already on the trailer, or did you weld it on? That's what I want to do with mine, but I have to figure out how. I'll see if my daughter can figure out how to post a pic of my trailer front.
The winch stand is not original to the trailer and yes it's U-bolted on. The part that has the wood bolted to it came with the winch stand when I bought it. It had an old rubber V stop on it.
The white stuff is snow.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Andy Taylor said:
The winch stand is not original to the trailer and yes it's U-bolted on. The part that has the wood bolted to it came with the winch stand when I bought it. It had an old rubber V stop on it.
The white stuff is snow.

Send some of that white stuff up this way, maybe it will cool the temps down :LOL2:

Here is what I have now. How can I replace the rubber flat block with a 2X4? There's one bolt that runs thru the center of rubber piece. Another problem is the winch handle is too close to the bow of boat. The winch stand bolts onto the tongue with U-bolts, so that can easily be moved. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF4652.JPG
    DSCF4652.JPG
    483 KB · Views: 3,198
  • DSCF4653.JPG
    DSCF4653.JPG
    475.7 KB · Views: 3,198
I'd say that what lck?????? did on his boat looks near perfect.

Looks like he used a short 4x4 cut to fit the opening (where your rubber stopper fits now). However, his short 4 x 4 might be need to be made longer for you... by a few inches. Or, perhaps, you might use a 4 x 6.

That way, the long, carpeted, cross piece would wind up a couple of inches further back. That would give you more clearance to crank the handle.

However, if you do push the boat backwards with whatever "fix" you do here...better check to be sure the stern is still fully supported by your trailer. A fully supported transom is the right way to do it.

So...if your "fix" in the front causes issues in the stern, then you may have to extend or move your hull supports towards the rear.

Rich

p.s. Your grabber handles might get in the way. Your cross piece might have to be shorter, due to the position of the grabber handles. R

One problem I see is my winch reel is too close to the front of boat and the rubber block. It's only about 2" from the reel to the front of boat, so there's not enough room for the 4X4 or 3X3 to fit in there. By the way, the space between the bracket where the rubber stop is, is 3". Whatever wood I put in there could only be 3" wide. The other problem is my bow eye is way higher than the pic posted by lckst...

Does my winch have to stay where it is mounted? Would it work properly if I can mount it on the vertical part of the stand that angles up and forward? That's the only way I can see this working. I want to make it similiar to lckst's setup in his above pic. Thanks.

Rich, I wouldn't have to move the boat back at all. There's plenty of room for the winch stand to move forward if needed.

Lower you winch and bracket down on your post. Then add wood to replace the rubber block to whatever length you want to put your 2 x 4 on for the front of your boat. By taking out the 2 bolts on you post and lowering your winch and rubber block it will give you more room between the boat and the handle and also line your winch up with you eye on the boat.

Are you guys saying to lower the entire bracket with winch on it, as it is? Or remove the winch and mount it below the brace like lckst's is? If I do that, the winch would be below the bow eye. Does that matter? As it is now, I only have 4" between the top of bow eye and the bottom of rubber stop.

Move the entire thing down. In your picture yo show 2 bolts holding the winch assembly to the post. Take those out and lower enveything down. If there arenot any holes there make some. Leave the winch mounted on top the way it is. This assembly looks to be adjustable and is held on with those 2 bolts.

Thanks sawmill. I won't know if lowering it will leave me enough room for my 2X4 until I try it. Like I said above, there's only 4" between the top of the bow eye and the bottom of the rubber block. I'll check it out, there are holes every 1" on the winch post. I bought two metal Simpson Strong Ties today at HD that should work. I'm thinking I can remove the rubber block and bolt the two L-brackets on, instead of a 3X3 piece of wood. Then attach my 2X4 to the 2 brackets.

That is what I would do to. But you still should lower your winch to get it more in line with your eye on the boat

Well, I really did it now!!! I wish I never started this project. I lowered the winch, put the 2 brackets on, put the carpeted 2X4 on, undid my rear straps to crank the boat up a few inches, and SNAP!!! Something broke. I look and the metal sheared right above where the bow eye is. Not the weld, the metal directly above the weld. Now I have to have this repaired. And of course the wiring for the front light is visible, right under the metal, where it broke. Do I have to take it to a boat repair shop for repair, or any welding shop? I am so F@#$%n disgusted right now. Thanks.

First, take a deep breath... Next, take a pic when you can so we can see exactly where its torn.. You will have to have it welded, but also figure out why it hqppened so it doesnt again... And go have yourself a cold one..or two....

TheMaestro said:
First, take a deep breath... Next, take a pic when you can so we can see exactly where its torn.. You will have to have it welded, but also figure out why it hqppened so it doesnt again... And go have yourself a cold one..or two....

I'll get a pic up tomorrow, if my daughter will do it. [-o<