Treated lumber / corrosion ????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boater

Reaction score
I just joined the site and have found much needed info and ideas here, the topic of using treated lumber has come up in a few of the post I have looked at but heres my questions. 1 How long will it take for the treated wood to cause corrosion and 2 if the aluminum that is in contact with the wood has a good coat of paint on it will it even be affected. I ask this because 2 1/2 years ago I built a new deck on my home and used painted aluminum that I bent in a break to make a cap to cover rim joists of the deck to match the house and after inspecting it I see no corrosion. The aluminum on the boat is heavier than the flashing so do you think a good coat paint is all thats needed? I can see the manufacturer of the lumber putting out the warning not to use aluminum nails because a house should last a lifetime and if the nails corroded in 10 - 15 years it could make the home structurally unsafe. Does anyone know specifics on this how long it takes to corrode a nail or sheet metal thats exposed to the lumber???

Ok I did some research on my own I thought I would share. Looks like a good paint will protect the aluminum from PT wood. Here are a few things I found I have screen shots. Looks like a 10mil plastic barrier is all thats needed

Attachments

• corr1.JPG
    corr1.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,662
  • corr2.JPG
    corr2.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,662
  • corr3.JPG
    corr3.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,662
  • wood.JPG
    wood.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,662
Welcome to the site.
I havn't read all the information but have read some in the past.
The problem with painting and barriers in a boat,is that sometimes barriers get holes and paint rubs off due to viberations.It's just as cheap to waterproof regular plywood,I wouldn't take the chance.

Welcome to Tinboats!!!

I have personally experienced with what treated wood will do to a brand new boat. You are correct about paint preventing it, but you can not stop the chaffing which will eat through the paint. Mine happened two ways. One was a spot chaffed where the rod locker was rubbing the seat and the other was through every fastener. It ate about 60% through the seat and it did ate all the way through the ribs. The wood was in my boat for about 6 months. The boat was brand new!! :shock:

Attachments

• treated%20tb001.jpg
    treated%20tb001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,653
  • treated%20tb002.jpg
    treated%20tb002.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,653
Hello all. I bought a tinny recently and the guy used what looks like treated lumber. There's what looks like rust in the back where water sits that can't get out the plug hole. Is that the corrosion?

moonfish said:
Hello all. I bought a tinny recently and the guy used what looks like treated lumber. There's what looks like rust in the back where water sits that can't get out the plug hole. Is that the corrosion?

Can you post pictures? Remove a piece of the wood. If it is you will see pitting like in my pictures. I mainly saw white corrosion like a battery corrosion.

Another note to think about. If your treated wood is more than 5 or 6 years old, you MIGHT be ok. A couple of years ago, EPA banned the use of Arsenic in perservatives. They substituted copper which reacts to aluminum.

I used yellawood brand pressure treated stuff from home depot. According to them as long as the aluminum isn't in standing water it is safe to use in direct contact with aluminum.

Latest posts