Trim Tabs vs Whale Tails

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth

Reaction score
Do they accomplish the same thing? My boat has trim tabs welded on each corner of the transom, but the motor doesn't have a whale tail. Just curious.

Just guessing, but I bet they do have a similar effect. The only difference that I can come up with is that the whale tail changes its angle when the motor trims up and down. Trim tabs should also be more effective with left/right stability since they are on the outside corners. But....I'm just thinking out loud. Don't really have any experience to compare with trim tabs.

The whale tale (hydrofoil) is usually compensating for something the boat owner can't get done with their setup, or the setup is wrong. I say this as I duck rocks and rotton fruit. If a boat is set up properly it will come up out of the water onto plane and handle efficiently, and if you want a better hole shot change the prop. It gives you lift out of the hole, and then provides what some say is stability (but I disagree with that one especially on flat bottom boats) but it is also causing a constant drag effect.

Trim Tabs, especially the self adjusting ones, would be a safer and better way to go from what I have learned. They offer a better stability to the ride for sure, I have felt the before and after and it is pretty nice.

Everyone has a preference, but I would say self adjusting trim tabs are best. They have the little 'shocks' on them.

Bufford

Latest posts