Trolling motor confusion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18775

Reaction score
I have looked and researched and I am more confused than ever. Rebuilding my Crestliner 1600 Fish Hawk. I mostly bass fish, but stay away from gps and color depthfinder units. So I narrowed my search to Motorguide. Now I have a decision between three motors...

X3 55# digital (12 volt)
X5 55# (12 volt)
X5 70# (24 volt)

I can't find all of them in stock, so mail order is coming. Rather do it right the first time. Is there enough real difference between the X3 and X5 to justify the price difference? Will I get a big enough jump in battery life to pay for the expense of two batteries with a 24V system?

any helpful words?

How often do you fish and how many hours would u use the tm per day of fishing?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I try to fish 2 to 3 times a month, more if I ever get to retire. Usually on the TM 6 hours of an 8 hour trip. Honestly thinking of buying my TM before I buy a gas motor so I can fish a bit before the rebuild is complete

I'm a fan of 24v for small boats and 36v for the bigger boats. Your batteries will last year's longer as will your daily power easily get you through 8 to 10 hours or more of tm usage. My last pair of 27's lasted almost 10 years and they were just Fleet Farm units. MI Dog contavos.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

24 volt if the way to go if you can, I fished 55lb 12 volts for years and finally bought a 24 80lb thrust. I was killing the 55 trolling most every trip. I think the 24volt slowed down one time last year and had to ramp up the speed a little for the rest of the day after trolling for miles fishing for striper. Batteries dont take near a whipping as said above and do last longer, he is correct to a T.

Latest posts