unplug trailer before launching

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinWI

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
How many of you do it?
I never did until a friend asked me why I didn't....I said I just never had...then I backed into the water and came out with only one side working ....opened it up today...sure enough the bulb popped and water was actually inside the bulb....so I guess I will be unplugging before launching from now on....never thought about it before.

Or you can relocate your trailer lights. I got tired of trying to remember to unplug mine so after I blew my second bulb I raised my lights so they never go in the water :) It also makes it much easier to see where my boat is when backing up. My suburban can make it hard to see my little 14ft boat at times so the wider and taller lights help greatly.
DSCN5625.JPG

Yep, what johny25 said! =D>

Every trailer I own has lights up on guides, and today, I've been working on someone else's trailer, doing the exact same thing, because their lights quit working.

Guides are also VERY useful for backing the trailer when it's empty, particularly if your truck has a toolbox (which severely restricts field of view) and especially when you start backing down the ramp and lose sight of the trailer, the guides are still visible, and make backing much easier.

I've always unplugged the trailer light before launching. Always have, always will. It's just the way I was a taught, part of the prepping-to-launch process for me. Then I plug them back in when I go through the ready-to-head-home process.

dyeguy1212 said:
Would unplugging actually save the bulb if water is getting in?

Seems like the issue could be due to a hot bulb being submerged in water

That is it exactly - remember the glass on a bulb is really thin and cools down very quickly - it also heats up fast

You unplug it and the bulb is cool almost immanently

I've always unplugged the trailer light before launching. Always have, always will. It's just the way I was a taught, part of the prepping-to-launch process for me. Then I plug them back in when I go through the ready-to-head-home process.

+1 Even though I put LED's on mine,just habit.

I never unplug mine : ) Another advantage to raising your lights is when loading your boat in the dark. It is really easy to see my trailer with the lights above the water when I come in from night fishing or when I get back to the launch just after dark...... just saying there are many benefits to raising lights and have found no negatives to doing it.

I thought about disconnecting them prior to dropping the trailer but didnt know if that was normal until I saw this post. Glad I did now. Even if they are water proof and all that I will just make it part of my routine as some others have stated.

Latest posts