using aluminum brazing rod and torch to repair holes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleblanc

Reaction score
hey guys i got a couple long holes on the bottom of my transom where is got dropped out of a truck and i was thinking of trying to get some brazing rods or something similar from Tractor supply to fix these. i dont have access to a mig setup for aluminum. but i think these brazing rods may work if i take my time, or i can get some aluminum sticks for my welder that will run at 120amps. any of you guys have experience with this? the two holes are about 4-6in long each not much gap to be filled in i was able to hammer them closed.

I would rivet a patch with 3m 5200 over it before I used the brazing rods.

Will just have to get it welded then I worry about using a patch and 5200 where the transom and bottom meet unless you guys think that would hold? But of course the best I am sure is to still weld it. What are your thoughts?

MIG, or TIG welding with ER5356 wire and 100% Argon would be the best fix.

I have used aluminum rods with a stick welder. They don't produce the strongest welds, though, they tend to have porosity. As for brazing aluminum, it can be done, but it is quite a bit more difficult than brazing steel. In either case, it would be a good idea to use a backup plate behind it, to act as a heat sink, so you don't melt a giant hole in the boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335588#p335588 said:
PSG-1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:50 pm[/url]"]

I have used aluminum rods with a stick welder. They don't produce the strongest welds, though, they tend to have porosity.

Mind sharing info on what stick and amperage?