Vegan Week Challenge - no, seriously, try it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like meat ether except for steak, pork, venison, gator, sometimes ground beef, most sausage, lots of chicken and fish................................. :LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340103#p340103 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » Today, 00:10[/url]"]
Their requirements are far above ours. No gm foods either. The people over here had a fit when they tried to introduce GM corn

All corn is genetically modified.... The corn you eat today did not exist in nature until man genetically modified it by artificial selection. There's also zero evidence that there is anything wrong with GM vegetables. The science is just spooky to people, then you factor in the conspiracy surrounding large corporations. The real problem with GM is not the safety of the product but the ethics of patenting biology/life.

Most of the commercially grown vegetables and fruits we eat are at the very least selectively cross-bred. My father spent a good portion of his life's work on improving the heartiness of winter wheat and varieties of corn. The improvements he was able to generate in just a few generations of the product were staggering. I'm not suggesting that GM crops are the bestest thing ever, but I do think that by and large, we as a society do not understand the modifications and as such are afraid of the product. I don't pretend to know much about the process or what modifications scientists are attempting to make or why, but I try to be open minded about these things.

As for the vegan week of January 2014, it was another great experience and things were definitely different than the last time around. I was just fine for food until about Thursday (day 5 since we started on Sunday) when I really started craving meat again. We decided that we'd call it quits a day early and end the challenge on Friday. On Saturday I smoked some sausages, ribs, chicken, and a pork tenderloin. We had lots of leftovers (which we've been eating all week) and an interesting thing happened following dinner - my wife and I both fell asleep rather quickly, then slept the night through. I have to think it's related to the meat, but I don't have any evidence to prove it. It is just as likely that we ate a pretty large meal compared to any of the meals we had eaten the week prior and the increased volume in food put us to sleep.

I believe we are going to be doing another vegan week again starting on February 16. For those who are interested, I encourage trying it out, even if it isn't the whole week. You'll never know if you don't try.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340088#p340088 said:
Jim » 28 Jan 2014, 21:37[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340077#p340077 said:
driz » 28 Jan 2014 08:09 pm[/url]"]
The big thing killing everybody is the nasty sugar substitutes especially corn syrup. Those attack you in a multitude of ways and worst of all keep you from feeling full so you eat more.

I believe this myself!

My son hates meat also. He likes chicken only and cold cuts (Pepperoni) which does not count. :lol:

Dr. Oz had a special or segment on this . Those substitutes inadvertently make you eat more.
I swear sitting over here in Bavaria I am amazed. You just don't see anybody who is really really fat. I have been here 3 weeks and saw only a couple that were really sporting a beer gut and such... They do eat the fresh food over here. I learned years ago about the lack of preservatives here . My wife had some 5 month old german chocolates in a cupbord. I was rummaging and found my prize. I was in my second bite when on the other end of the chocolate a nice mid sized maggot was standing up looking at me. Oh yea. Came from the nuts inside I'm told. Yecch. ALl their stuff spoils fast here but even the German grocery store food is way superior to ours for those reasons stated above.
Speaking of issues with substitutes one of my friends sent me a Amazon customer report on German GUMMY BEARS.the new sugar free ones. If I can find it later I will post it. It is halarious. Anyways good timing as the day before my Mother in law 88 had come down with a really horrible case of the runs. We got a bit concerned for a while and she was pretty rocky the next day too. Come to find out she had munched on a few of those new gummy bears. The joke article my buddy sent next day by coincidence cleared it all up. Anyways. DON'T EAT SUGAR FREE GUMMY BEARS [-o< if you are going any where. I;ll try to post the link if I can find it. Ah here it is read it and try not to laugh too hard, especially about the guy on the long flight. [-X

https://slightlyviral.com/beware-sugarless-gummy-bears-on-amazon-com/

RiverBottomOutdoors » 28 Jan 2014, 23:10[/url]"]There's also zero evidence that there is anything wrong with GM vegetables.

There may be no evidence yet that it has an affect on our bodies. However, the negative effects of GM crops on our native ecosystems is well documented.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340245#p340245 said:
Ictalurus » 37 minutes ago[/url]"]
RiverBottomOutdoors » 28 Jan 2014, 23:10[/url]"]There's also zero evidence that there is anything wrong with GM vegetables.

There may be no evidence yet that it has an affect on our bodies. However, the negative effects of GM crops on our native ecosystems is well documented.

Actually, it's not..... The potential risks are well documented.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Actually, it's not..... The potential risks are well documented.

I hear you man, kinda like the fracking debate :roll:

Don't forget to consider the conversion of native land to agricultural production though.

This is from the article Landscape Perspectives on Agricultural Intensification and Biodiversity – Ecosystem Service Management, published in 2005.

"During the last decades, worldwide losses of biodiversity have occurred at an unprecedented scale and agricultural intensification has been a major driver of this global change (Matson et al. 1997; Tilman et al. 2001). The dramatic land-use changes include the conversion of complex natural ecosystems to simplified managed ecosystems and the intensification of resource use, including application of more agrochemicals and a generally higher input and output, which is typical for agroecosystems as relatively open systems. Recent agricultural intensification also includes genetically modified crops, which offer new opportunities for increased yields in the coming decades, but also risk side-effects (Groot & Dicke 2002; Hails 2002)."

BTW, we had this debate when I took Bio-Medical Ethics back in the day and I was and still am in favor of using GM crops. The potential good outweighs the bad in many cases, however, environmental consequences do remain.

Like I said, no "well documented impacts"....only documented potential risks, of which, most are inherent to agriculture like herbicide use and evolution of plant pathogens. The ethics of patenting life remains debatable.

I don't want this thread to turn into a GMO vs organic and what we think is right and wrong. Lets just stick to the vegan challenge please.

If you want my feelings on this subject you can PM me. :LOL2:

I'm back to doing the Vegan Week Challenge starting again today and plan on staying vegan through 2/21. I know it's not a full week, but last time it's what ended up what my wife and I agreed upon.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341983#p341983 said:
BassAddict » Yesterday, 14:19[/url]"]My condolences!

I'd apologize too if any of the meat I cooked looked that ugly! :LOL2:

I have to admit, I'm less enthusiastic about doing it this time around than I was last time, but I still think it's an interesting experiment and one I'll continue to pursue despite all of the ribbing I take for it.

one100grand said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341983#p341983 said:
BassAddict » Yesterday, 14:19[/url]"]My condolences!

I'd apologize too if any of the meat I cooked looked that ugly! :LOL2:

I have to admit, I'm less enthusiastic about doing it this time around than I was last time, but I still think it's an interesting experiment and one I'll continue to pursue despite all of the ribbing I take for it.

And yet it's still more appetizing than this!!

uploadfromtaptalk1392651151876.jpg

LMAO, just busting em. I get a lot of ribbing for my diet, but if it works for you and you enjoy it diet on!!

Sorry I haven't updated in a couple of days. While I wasn't super excited about the going animal free this time, I think I'm feeling quite a bit better now than I was at the same point last time. The biggest sacrifice I feel like I'm making this time is milk & whey protein - I've been working out a fair bit and trying to build some muscle, so have become accustomed to taking a protein supplement following an intense workout. The vegan protein supplements are super chalky and unpleasant...and using milk instead of water is also pretty awful.

I give you a lot of credit. its crazy how many things contain animal by products. I think 99 percent of the things I eat come from animals. more power too you keep up the good work.

i

Ended up just eating hummus, chips, and guac for dinner last night. It's interesting how often I'm finding myself eating food that I normally would and not really considering it vegan. I'm definitely not struggling the same way I was before and haven't really had any particular food cravings...some yogurt would be nice, but I don't really think I'm craving it and I don't think many folks would be terribly disappointed if they didn't have yogurt...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338787#p338787 said:
Jim » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:16 am[/url]"]We here have reduced the process foods by 75%. The Wife bakes cookies with ingredients we can read…sugar, eggs….etc. We try to buy things that don't contain High Fructose Corn Syrup or if we can afford it local produce and Im even going to say it……….Organic :shock:

The amount of hidden fats,sodium, and synthetic sweeteners in stuff is just too much in my opinion.

I eat meat, chicken, pork, fish every day…..every day! I think If I can skip meat two days a week it will not kill me and it will be the equivalent of a week out of a month.

If I had the option of growing my own food all year I would be all over it. During the summer we do great with the garden but in the winter we have no choice.

Remove CANOLA® oil from your diet. Your innards will appreciate it.

I'm a day late in getting back on this, we started Vegan Week again yesterday. Last night we had soup with Quinoa, Kale, beans, and some root vegetables.

Latest posts