Vegan Week Challenge - no, seriously, try it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338836#p338836 said:
Paul Marx » 3 minutes ago[/url]"]I have a niece that has gone vegan to try and save the animals from being eatin . I tell her "your not saving them , they will die a slow death cause your eating their food ". I love our cows , one bite at a time. I like being on the thicker side , it keeps me from blowing out of the boat .

LMAO............................................ :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338836#p338836 said:
Paul Marx » Yesterday, 16:06[/url]"]I have a niece that has gone vegan to try and save the animals from being eatin . I tell her "your not saving them , they will die a slow death cause your eating their food ". I love our cows , one bite at a time. I like being on the thicker side , it keeps me from blowing out of the boat .

I love it! I may have to start using this as a response.

Juicing can add some variety to your diet while helping you get the necessary nutrients from fruits and vegetables. You can make juice at home with a juicer, try a juice bar, or purchase freshly squeezed juices at the supermarket. Get all the facts about juicing and learn if it’s right for you. There are many health benefits of drinking freshly juiced fruits and vegetables, and it’s a great way to add nutrients from the fruits or vegetables that you normally wouldn’t eat. Fruit and vegetable juices retain most of of the vitamins, minerals and plant chemicals (phytonutrients) that would be found in the whole versions of those foods. These nutrients can help protect against cardiovascular disease, cancerand various inflammatory diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis. Valuable compounds called flavonoids and anthocyanins are abundant in a variety of fruits and vegetables and guard against oxidative cellular damage, which comes from everyday cellular maintenance and is exacerbated by exposure to chemicals and pollution.
However, beware claims that juicing is the only way to stay healthy, that you should avoid solid foods, or that juicing is a substitution for a medical diagnosis or treatment. There’s not much research out there that proves that juicing is healthier than eating the whole fruits and vegetables; however, juicing does makes them easier to consume on a regular basis.
Some advocates for juicing may claim that your body absorbs more nutrients from juices than the whole fruit because the fruit’s fiber gets in the way. However, there isn’t much research out there that supports that claim. Your digestive system is designed to handle fiber and extract nutrients from a variety of foods. Plus, fiber is important for digestive function and has a multitude of health benefits.

Adding a vegan day and a juicing day to your diet can only help your body to help itself. No reason to get radical.... just tweak thing a bit to give yourself an advantage. You can only feel better for it and what's wrong with that ?? None of us is getting' out of this alive. But some of us will enjoy our time more and longer than others and I'll take any advantage that's reasonable. And, bottom line, things like this are reasonable.

My 2 cents.

I like the "juicing" thing, it is how I usually have breakfast during the week.
I use a blender and throw in some water, powdered milk, flax seeds, bran, a variety of fruits and vegetables and at least a cup+ of mixed grains. Spin it up, slam it down and head to work. Good stuff.

Yesterday was the first day of our vegan week. Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I got a little distracted with football and yardwork.
For breakfast I had a vegan cereal I bought at Whole Foods with almond milk - I would not have been able to tell the difference if I had not known ahead of time.
For lunch we had a frozen vegan pizza. This was made with cheese substitute :shock: but again it was pretty good.
For dinner we made couscous with roasted carrots, currants, saffron, and toasted pine nuts, then my wife also made falafel.
Throughout the day we had fruit, nuts, and chips & guacamole (apparently my favorite chips are vegan!)

Day 1 was pretty much a breeze but I was pretty much constantly snacking - I need to try to get fiber to get more of that full feeling.

Today for breakfast I had a piece of toast with almond butter (again the bread is vegan that we bought in the frozen section of the supermarket), juice, fruit, and nuts. I'm going to have leftover couscous for lunch. Nothing super exciting, but I've found that this is more about establishing a plan for the week and executing it than anything.

Not a thing wrong with the first day! Or the second!

Last night we had stir-fry with fried tofu. I know it doesn't sound like anything delicious, but I'd work a meal like this into my normal rotation.

My wife also had the day off yesterday and made a lemon poppyseed bread that was pretty good.

Today is leftovers for lunch and tonight we'll be making lentil soup.

We ended up making angel hair pasta with a very green basil thai coconut sauce last night. Today I'm having leftovers for lunch and snacking on nuts, fruit, and kale chips. I won't say I don't miss meat and I wouldn't mind this ending a day earlier, but right around day 4 (today) is when I crossed over last time and got more used to eating vegan.

No vegan diet for me. I'm from Wisconsin. We eat deer/beef, cheese, milk, and beer. When I want to cleanse my body, I drink dark heavy (high alcohol content) beer. The next day I have the beer s--ts. Cleaned out.

Did you know there is no beer value in food, but there is food value in beer. :beer:

Last night we had risotto with peppers, pine nuts, and snow peas for the main course and oven roasted cauliflower as a side. Everything was good, but I think the risotto could have been better with some mushrooms, but we didn't have any. I ate pretty much non-stop yesterday and I feel like my metabolism has probably changed. Despite the constant eating, my weight is down from last week's weigh-in (so far). I haven't had any struggles at the gym, but I'll admit that I'm ready for some products that involve butter and bacon. We may call it quits early and stop on Saturday instead of Sunday so I have a whole weekend to run the new smoker; we'll just have to see how that goes though.

I just don't like meat. I hated it when I was a kid ate what they made me but when I grew up I just sort of gave it up again. No big deal and the wife and daughter do the same not that I made anyone. The one thing I hated truly and always was FISH, chicken is close behind. Sorry just hate the smell [-X of it and everything. On the other hand all the fishermen on Lake Champlain owe me one because I throw every single one of em back in. Call it my humanitarian thing or whatever.
Vegan is too far for me, I love cheese and such things just like that red wine that I try to tell myself is nutritious in some way :---) other than keeping my sanity. Seriously though eating as a regular vegetarian is just plain simple. Eating any colorful vegetable is the best basic method to get the good stuff while beans are pretty high in protein.
I come to Germany a fair bit and one thing is infinitely clear. The food in the US ranges between poor and poisonous. It's just that bad with all the preservatives and chemical stabilizers. You can just see it so clearly over here and I do mean the local retail stores like ALdi , Tebo, Renni. not just the small specialty shops. Everything is fresh and guess what it spoils way faster than ours does. It's the preservatives. You should see the size of people over here too. They look like right out of the 1950's except not smoking nearly as much. I have been sitting here for 3 weeks now and saw just 2 really fat people and I have wandered around a lot. It's amazing.
Here is one tip for shopping in the USA shop at ALDI for what you can. They are the biggest food store in Europe IIRC and all their food line all passes German food specifications. Their requirements are far above ours. No gm foods either. The people over here had a fit when they tried to introduce GM corn. They just won't buy it while Monsanto and friends keep up the relentless pressure to gain the market.
The big thing killing everybody is the nasty sugar substitutes especially corn syrup. Those attack you in a multitude of ways and worst of all keep you from feeling full so you eat more. Check out what Dr. Oz has to say about that.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340077#p340077 said:
driz » 28 Jan 2014 08:09 pm[/url]"]
The big thing killing everybody is the nasty sugar substitutes especially corn syrup. Those attack you in a multitude of ways and worst of all keep you from feeling full so you eat more.

I believe this myself!

My son hates meat also. He likes chicken only and cold cuts (Pepperoni) which does not count. :lol:

Love Aldi's for coffee, veggies, fruits, chips, an other items. Here's a movie to check out some time... Food Inc. it will make you think twice about what you eat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339427#p339427 said:
Hanr3 » January 22nd, 2014, 11:41 pm[/url]"]No vegan diet for me. I'm from Wisconsin. We eat deer/beef, cheese, milk, and beer. When I want to cleanse my body, I drink dark heavy (high alcohol content) beer. The next day I have the beer s--ts. Cleaned out.

Did you know there is no beer value in food, but there is food value in beer. :beer:

I've always heard there's a pork chop in every beer.

Their requirements are far above ours. No gm foods either. The people over here had a fit when they tried to introduce GM corn

All corn is genetically modified.... The corn you eat today did not exist in nature until man genetically modified it by artificial selection. There's also zero evidence that there is anything wrong with GM vegetables. The science is just spooky to people, then you factor in the conspiracy surrounding large corporations. The real problem with GM is not the safety of the product but the ethics of patenting biology/life.

Latest posts