Water pump cautions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boat2fast

Reaction score
Boaters get into trouble if their engine overheats.

A few things to note about outboard water pumps:

(1) Never run an outboard without the lower unit submerged, or a proper hose connected. Even a few seconds can fry a dry water pump impeller. It is a rubber impeller running on a metal surface. If it is allowed to spin dry, heat builds up instantly.

(2) Never run an outboard that has been found after a long period of storage. Old water pump impellers have a habit of working for a short time and then crumbling into pieces. Off you go, across the lake with Granpa's old motor...it pumped good when you fired it up. Now it's way too hot.

(3) Final, end of season, storage prep: As soon as the boat is pulled out of the water, or as soon as the hose is disconnected for the last time: Spin the engine over with the starter for a second or two. This expels the water from the pump to prevent ice damage. Doing this while the pump is still wet/full won't hurt it. Store vertical for drainage.

Here's are pictures of an undamaged pump and a water pump run dry for a short time. All parts are used. You can tell which ones were run dry. The housing and the impeller were both damaged by the heat.

I don't have the remains of a crumbled impeller to photograph, but I sure have seen a few.

Hope this saves some heartache and expense for someone.

IMG_0416.JPGIMG_0417.JPG,

IMG_0414.JPGIMG_0415.JPG,

Wow, thanks for sharing this.. People like myself that are new to dealing with water pumps NEED to know this.

Good info!

For those who may be intimidated by changing out a water pump impeller, here's a video I did a while back, showing how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=somAIV12Dj0

Y_J said:
This is a great video, psg-1. Thanks for sharing it. I personally found it very helpful..

X2 I need to do both my impeller and the oil. Have both, Just haven't had time.