Weddings

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
My wife and I had a son and 2 daughters. When our oldest daughter got engaged my wife, who is very organized, went into full bore wedding planning. Church wedding and big reception with open bar, sit down dinner, D-J, etc. She was upset because I didn't share the same level of enthusiasm as she did planning the wedding. I finally tried to explain to her that weddings were female things and even the future groom was not that interested in all the detail. She of course didn't believe me. So the next time the future son-in-law came over I made him this offer in front of the wife, and my daughter. They could have the big fancy reception or I would throw them a hog roast in the back yard, and then go buy a fishing boat for them with the balance of what had been budgeted for the reception. The look on all 3 of their faces was priceless!! It really got interesting when my future son-in-law really started to consider my offer. Well my wife and daughter were mad at me for about a week, my wife and daughter got the big reception, and my son-in-law still mentions after 12 years that he wishes he would have taken me up.

5 years later I made the same offer to our 2nd future son-in-law with the same result. My daughter told me this past weekend that her husband still reminds her of the boat offer from time to time. :LOL2:

That's a great story and an even better offer. My parents helped...actually took over the reception dinner. It was very nice. We, my wife and I gave them a list of the people we planned on inviting and my mother decided that we were missing a LOT of other people. We decided that if they wanted to add to the list, they had to cover it since we were paying for everything....and so it was.

My wife and I had a beautiful wedding and reception. No regrets....but I have a boat too...actually two boats and a canoe. Life is good. 8)