Welded Boat Transom Replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediFish

Reaction score
First post here after lurking the site for help with my issue. I recently purchased an old Tracker Backcountry Flip Pallot edition 16ft boat with a trailer for a good price on the low end. The fella said it had a “solid transom” but it was pretty obvious that it was going to have to be replaced just looking at the back of the boat. It would seem they originally used treated plywood for the transom and there’s pretty extensive corrosion on the back of the boat with caused water leaks around every fastener ran through the transom over the past 30 years.

The issue I’m having with the transom is that they have made the removal/replacement of the plywood difficult with poor design. It seems they dropped the transom in then welded the top cap. After that they must’ve clamped the transom in place and welded a z bracket on the bottom end of the transom to the hull. Then they welded brackets to the hull on each side of the transom along with 2 support brackets near the middle of the transom. They’ve pretty much got it where i have to cut the wood out, cut some welds, or bend these brackets to replace the transom.

Has anyone had similar issues to this? Here’s some pics.

IMG_1809.jpgIMG_1810.jpgIMG_1852.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take it to a local reputable welding shop. Probably be able to cut the whole transom out and weld a new one in in half a day.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I'd take it to a local reputable welding shop. Probably be able to cut the whole transom out and weld a new one in in half a day.

Yesh thats probably a good way to fix it..
Freaking boat manufacturers love to make transom wood impossible to replace lol...

I bet a shop could cut and weld in a transom.. and make it so you or the next owner can replace the wood. I had the Same problem but i have rivets so i had to drill them out. Now i or anyone else can replace it if ever needed.

Good luck id love to see the progress on it

gwar822 said:
Weldorthemagnificent said:

Yesh thats probably a good way to fix it..
Freaking boat manufacturers love to make transom wood impossible to replace lol...

I bet a shop could cut and weld in a transom.. and make it so you or the next owner can replace the wood. I had the Same problem but i have rivets so i had to drill them out. Now i or anyone else can replace it if ever needed.

Good luck id love to see the progress on it

Yeah i love the idea of a welded hull but these folks welded eeeevvveeerryyything haha i think I’m going to have to get a welder involved either way which doesn’t really fit my budget build but I’ll be taking my little one out on it so I’d rather have something legit than a quick fix. If i do go that way, I’m definitely not gonna leave this problem for the next guy.

CedarRiverScooter said:
If budget allows, they can weld in alum channels & ditch the plywood entirely.

I’ve looked into it and it’s awesome without a doubt. Still haven’t priced out what it would cost for materials plus welding but pretty sure it would break my budget. The wife doesn’t like when the plan changes especially when it comes to money lol

Getting an estimate is free. I don't know what you have in the boat already or what the long term plan is, but a budget fix is to cut the corner caps off with a zip disc. Then bend the top lip up enough to get the wood out and replaced with non treated. Pound the lip back down and rivet the caps on. Go to the fab shop and get a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum plate close to the size of the transom and bolt it on the outside sealing in between with 5200. If you can get the shop to break a lip to go over the top of the transom, even better. I've done this and it really beefs up the transom.

Latest posts