What can be used in place of a trolling motor plug?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i'll probably end up doing on my boat is to just put 2 stainless bolts through the decking sticking up about an inch. Have a 4 ga wire from the battery hooked up underneath the decking to the bolts with ring terminals. Put a nut with a washer on the top of the decking just to hold it all in place and then thread a wing nut just like they have on the battery to connect the troller to. Then these same posts could be used to connect the charger to without removing the batt from the boat. Only flaw I can see is if something metal falls on the 2 posts and shorts them out. Maybe i could put them in a small cubby in the rear with a little flip up door with a notch for the wires to come out. Cheap, easy and a good solid connection.

dyeguy1212 said:
seems like an extension cord plug would be the easiest, considering I know right where to find them, and I've hooked them up a million times before... my only concern would be that 6 gauge wire might be too thick for it.

I'd need to get the 2 prong style, because I don't have a ground wire.

You can buy high amp rated plugs at any hardware store. The larger ones will handle 6 gauge. Don'e worry if it has two, three or four prongs (220/3 phase w/grounf) the unused prongs won't hurt anything - just insure to get a large enough set (male & Female) to handle the 6 gauge wire (probably a 30 or 40 amp size).

Latest posts