What gauge aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cprince

Reaction score
What gauge aluminum should I use for framing and decking.

I have searched and found many different answers. What I suppose I really want to ask is;

How thin can I go?

If I have braces every 16 inches - .125?
If I have braces every 12 inches can I go to .090?
If I have braces every 9 inches can I go to .080? Thinner?

I am certain that if I have braces every 1 inch I could use aluminum foil.... :LOL2:

What is the recommended angle stick gauge and widths to use? Is there a rule of thumb?

Thanks!

It is going to depend on what sort of decking you also plan to use. I believe I have gone with the lightest framing that I have seen recently on this site. I used.

3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" and I designed it so that I had no spacing greater then 16" and supports down to the floor no less then every 16". Its a mess of aluminum running all over the place but once the decking is on I don't much care what is under it.

The decking thickness is going to be a consideration too. 3/4" plywood will go on just about anything and be sold. I am going with 1/2" with a layer of fiber mat and epoxy glass on top.

Thanks for the reply!

So you used 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" and had them about every 16"?

Wow... super light weight. How big is your boat? What are the dimensions of your deck? Any noticeable flex? How much do you weigh?

I am going to use aluminum only for this build, so plywood is not something I am considering.

I am still wondering what is the thinnest gauge aluminum sheeting I can use to deck my boat.

Thanks for the stick information danmyersmn!!

Craig