What is the name of this style aluminum channel? _|_|_

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butthead

Reaction score
I'd like to make a transom wheel setup similar to the picture below. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find the name of the aluminum channel that looks like _|_|_ . I've searched under numerous combinations of U, C, L, T, W, H, double, open, track, channel aluminum and the closest thing I could find is sliding door track.

Any ideas???

41RXtmaJ2oL._SX385_.jpg

That's most likely a custom extrusion shape. The company that makes that wheel built a special die for that shape. That said, you might be best looking through a scrap yard, bring a picture of the cross section with you.

You could also be crafty and build your own version with a couple of L channels attached to a C channel Like this:

L channel: _|
C Channel: |_|

bolt or weld them together to make this: _||_||_
The middle webs will be thicker than normal, but you should be able to do it.

Or weld two pieces of C channel to a flat plate at the spacing you need.

Or simply use C-Channel and bolt it to the boat through the middle of the web and drill a clearance hole through the pivoting member. That's probably the easiest and cheapest method. Make sure to get the architectural channel, not the structural. Structural will have angled sides, Architectural will have straight sides and sharp corners.

Good Luck!

My fallback plan was C channel, so based on your comment I guess that's what I'll be using.
I found one person that had bolted two L brackets separately onto the transom and left the channel section open in the middle. It looked perfectly functional, but I personally like having the mounting bracket all as one piece.
Thanks for the input!

That is a flange "bearing profile" Check out 8020.net or even better check out 8020 garage sale on ebay. They sell small pieces and used pieces on there for a good price. I am sure that there are many shapes for sale that will give anyone ideas. Some of the channels are excellent for installing rod holders and etc.

Booyah, that's it! I definitely would never have guessed "bearing profile". #-o
Thanks!

Latest posts