What line do you prefer on your most used setup?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Ahab said:
WOW - so many people still using mono and floro - I cannot go back to that stuff, like fishing with a rubber band.

Sufix braid is my go to for just about everything - floro or mono leaders anywhere from 4 to 8 feet

I agree about the mono and floro. Here's a test. Take a rod and reel spooled with mono or floro and pull out about 200 feet, then have your buddy "set the hook" while you hold the end of it. After that, take a rod and reel spooled with braid and do the same test. You will be amazed.

Great point

Also, for those who believe the hype that floro stretches less then mono - WRONG. Fluorocarbon line has MORE stretch then mono lines, just an FYI

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

However, Seaguar woudl have you believe otherwise - here is a quote from their web site:

43) Does fluorocarbon stretch?
Yes, fluorocarbon lines and leaders do stretch, but not as much as mono. Line typically has more stretch than leader. All Seaguar lines and leaders provide the optimum amount of shock impact/stretch.

That is BS if you look at the test results, Seaguar makess some of the most stretchiest (is that a word) stuff - also some of the best IMHO for leaders anyway

use seige 12 lb clear on my Mediium action Quantum Torsion rod with my Abu Garcia Revo S

Captain Ahab said:
WOW - so many people still using mono and floro - I cannot go back to that stuff, like fishing with a rubber band.

Sufix braid is my go to for just about everything - floro or mono leaders anywhere from 4 to 8 feet

I'm looking forward to trying the bright orange Sufix. I can't go back to mono, either.

When I first started using braid I was fishing with an older buddy of mine and he had a lot of belittling comments for my newfangled line. We were fishing for specks on the bottom in 25 feet of water. It was blisteringly cold and they were just barely pecking our jigs.
I could feel it with 10 lb Power Pro and he couldn't with his mono. I missed the first few but then got them zeroed in.

I told him, "You need Power Pro!"
He told me he had been fishing in this spot since before I was born and and didn't need any.

After the first couple I left him alone.

When I had put ten in the boat and he was still blanked he muttered, "So you got any more of that or what?" I did and he spooled some on top of his mono. Right after that a guide in a big fancy bay boat pulled up right next to us with a whole boatload of people. We put them in the boat one after another while they watched and thought they weren't getting any bites.

After about the tenth time his clients asked, "Why can't we do what those guys are doing?" he cussed, cranked up, and left there full throttle. :mrgreen: That slowed the bite down for a few minutes but they picked right back up and we soon put our 50th silver wonder in the box and headed in.

I have mono all of of my setups (mostly mix-matches) except my favorite. On my favorite I have a braid. Maybe that's why it's my favorite. :)

On my light action stuff, 4 pound Trilene XL. On my medium action spinning gear, 8 pound Trilene XT. On my casting rod, 20 pound Spiderwire braid. I've never tried florocarbon but what I use now works fine for me.

Has anyone used the new Sufix 832 braid? Do you like/dislike it?
https://www.sufix.com/usa/fishing_line/832/

On my flippin stick I use 15# Berkley 100% flouro. Never had a problem, and I pull fish out of heavy cover, boat docks and even steal pilings down on the Delaware river. I do keep reel magic on me as well because when its 100 deg. out I just give a little spray and its fine. On my crank, trap, and spinnerbait rods are 8 lb stren monofilament, On my dropshot, shakeyhead, and small finesse rods are 8lb p-line co-polimar line, whioch is mono but flouro coated. That stuff is strong. I have actually straightened out hooks on shakey heads in 25' of water before the line broke and thats what got me hooked on it.

I had OK success with the Trilene 100% Flourocarbon.

Because of it's sink rate it makes it really nice to stay in contact with light jigs/worms. Problem is those are usually fished on spinning gear which can cause line management issues.....I have Pflueger and Abu Garcia spinning reels, and have MUCH better luck with the Pflueger reels as far as line management is concerned.
That was using 10lb test. A drop to 8lb test may have solved some of the my issues.

After trying several lines, I like Yo-Zuri hybrid so much, that I'm just going to stick with it. I buy it from fish307.com, they have good prices and good service, and the line is awesome.

I often use fluorocarbon leaders on my braided line rigs. However, I don't like spooling up a whole reel with it - too much line memory and too brittle IMHO. I have 2 set ups with mono - my crankbait rig and my spinner bait rig. Everything else is braid, even my ultra light set up has 4 lb Power Pro.

Typically I am running Power-Pro braid with Seguar InvisX Leader connected using a Slim Beauty knot. This fits most drop shot, weighted & un-weighted T-Rigs, swim jig and some pitching jig applications. I use Berkley Big Game mono for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, plugs and crank baits. Straight Power-Pro on Frog and Punching setups.

SkagBass said:
Typically I am running Power-Pro braid with Seguar InvisX Leader connected using a Slim Beauty knot. This fits most drop shot, weighted & un-weighted T-Rigs, swim jig and some pitching jig applications. I use Berkley Big Game mono for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, plugs and crank baits. Straight Power-Pro on Frog and Punching setups.

You like that Slim Beauty knot better than Uni to Uni?

thad. said:
You like that Slim Beauty knot better than Uni to Uni?

Yes. It is a much harder knot for me to tie but I like the way all 3 of the tag ends point in the same direction. It makes casting the knot through the guides much easier for me. I tend to use long flouro leader (6'-8'), so being able to cast through the guides is important to me. This is usually on the drop shot or the worm setup.

When using a shorter leader < 2' and i know i wont have that knot anywhere near the guides, I usually tie a J-bend knot or Uni to Uni.

I use Sufix braid and floro or mono leaders on everything.

For the big Tuna trolling outfits 100 lb Power pro with 50 yards of 80 lb mono to a clip and then 200 lb floro leader to the bait

Just looked up the Slim Beauty knot - will have to try it.

I use an Alberto know which works great for using very long leaders - slides right through the guides and is super strong when tied correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92R9F9ZNi2I&feature=related

I fish with 5 University of Texas Longhorn custom rods built from a Castaway blank, 7'. medium action. Reels are the old styled green Shimanos filled with clear12 lb. test line connected to a barrel swivel connected to approx 18" of 20 lb clear mono line leader connected to some good roll on snaps. All five are set up the same way. This is a very good combo for me fishing in the salt for red fish, speckaled trout and flounder.

Usually I'm dropping senkos, so I go floro 10-12 lb floro OR 20-25 lb braid and a floro leader.
I also like straight braid on the topwater crank-em-out-of-the-mess rod.

Thanks for the note on Floro but one thing I don't understand... When I use mono, I cant feel anything, bites are real soft if I feel one and setting the hook is like pulling on a tree branch. When using solid floro line, I feel every tick, very similar to braid. Why is it different if they stretch the same? Does floro stretch "slower" than mono?

On my spinning outfits that I use for tubes...Trilene XL mono 12 pound test
On my spinning outfits that I use for senkos...30lb braid (usually PowerPro, but I've also used Spiderwire)
On most baitcasting outfits that serve multi role functions for bass/pike/muskie...50-60 braid
On one baitcasting outfit that I use for jerkbait/crankbait...Trilene XL mono 14 pound test
Tom

Suffix mono and flouro. The strongest on the market. Spiderwire is the WORST!!! I used to use both the mono and the 80 lb braid. Terrible! Powerpro braid is by far the strongest. I have broken just about every brand out and I have yet to snap a line using Powerpro. Of course I only use it for the most part for catfish and muskie, but I do use it in certain instances for bass or crappie. I have straightened 10/0 circle hooks and pulled in huge trees with Powerpro. I could break Spiderwire with my fingers.

Latest posts