What Shaky Heads Do You Use?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilinimud

Reaction score
I just got into using shakey heads more and they seem like they aggrivate the bass like crazy. Especially with a stand up head.

So i was wondering what brand, and weight do you use for your shaking? I have been using all 1/8 but just bought some 1/4. I have Spot Remover stand ups, Bagley shakeys, VMC Barbarians, and Arkie Shakeys.

I use spot removers too, but seem to lose them more and they gather too many weeds so about 2 years agao i swithed to Ike's Shakey Heads from tru tungsten. Its my personal favorite, that has worked for me in many areas and water temps. I use the ball buster but the weedless one works a lot. Usally I throw a 3/16 oz.

I have all but given up on the jig excpet on tight cover and matted grass.

I use Davis Shakey Heads SL unpainted in 3/16oz... and that's for depths 0-40'....

This is the best place I have found them for the price - I buy in bulk.. which reminds me, I need more.

https://www.coosatackle.com/site/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=566

If I paint the heads of them (when you look at my fishing reports, most of them have green heads)... I buy PowerTec powder and fix me about 5-6 to keep ready to go at all times.

I've settled on the Tru-Tungsten and the Strike Kings for ease of rigging. I don't like the screw-on type and the Original Spot Remover has too large of a spike, if it had a thin spike it would be great.

Nickk said:
I've settled on the Tru-Tungsten and the Strike Kings for ease of rigging. I don't like the screw-on type and the Original Spot Remover has too large of a spike, if it had a thin spike it would be great.

file it down a little with a metal finger nail file... works for me on some that I think are too large

I mean on this kind
spot_remover.jpg

the spike is too fat and ruins the bait, it doesn't take long before the bait won't stick on anymore.

ohh... yea, I don't use those for that reason either.. Roboworms do not work well with those type of jigs, nor do they do well with the stickers on shakey heads. It's a good investment to get soft plastic glue or super glue for those worms.. they last a lot longer

russ010 said:
ohh... yea, I don't use those for that reason either.. Roboworms do not work well with those type of jigs, nor do they do well with the stickers on shakey heads. It's a good investment to get soft plastic glue or super glue for those worms.. they last a lot longer

Exactly!
I love Robos and they tend to do best on the other bent-shank or bait-keeper style heads.

I need to buy some soft bait glue but hardly anybody sells it around here.

I had a bunch from pc baits, but am about out of them. I've started buying the spot removers for stand up heads, for round heads i mostly use luck 'e' strike, mainly because they are the only jig heads wally world sells that use gama hooks.

I have used the spot remover head but didn't like the big spike so i went with the screw lock style
Russ, do you fish your (SH) texposed ?

I honestly don't like fishing anything texposed... I tried it a few times, but I have better luck just pushing the hook half way into the worm.

A lot of the time the fish will bite the tail hard enough to expose the hook when texposed, and it's almost like they spit it out as soon as they feel the tip of the hook... I sharpen all of my hooks when I get them with on my honing stone... I can cut paper with them after I'm done, and I've yet to have a fish spit it out after he's got on

I was wondering about texopsing as well. I dont think i like it. I have just started using shakey heads, but it seems like they tear easier that way.

I have also noticed the Spot Removers pick up a lot of junk, but they do work very well for getting that tail up.

Do you guys tend to keep the worm in the same place for a long time, just skake it in the same spot, or do you like to move it a little faster? Im thinking when the weather warms a shaky head moved faster may work....

When I am fishing a (SH) I let it sit sometimes up to a minute.
I leave a little slack in the line and shake the @#$% out of the rod tip....

I like the Arkie jerky heads 1/8oz. Tried them last year. I pulled it thru some rough stuff, it performed.

I like how they have the bait hook up, they have two wires that you just stick thru the bait. Great for me :D

I fish it a little faster than most people.. but then again, I'm going for reaction strikes.

One of the ways that I tremor the bait is to let it sit on slightly slack line and grip the rod with a tight grip... sometimes it looks like I've got Parkinson's disease, but it works

I just picked up a couple packs of MegaStrike ShakE2 heads, they have a fulcom on the bottom so they stand up all the time, you can rig them weedless or with the hook exposed. https://www.basstackledepot.com/basstackle/shake2/shakE2.jpg
If you google MegaStrike Evolution Jig you'll see the head, plus a video of it.

Latest posts