What size must the engine box be ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuptii

Reaction score
I've got a boat with a 175 SJ ... It has a straight floor with the engine box (cover,cowl,whatever you call it) sticking up and out and taking up a lot of space.I want to
modify its dimentions to give myself a little more deck space in the stern. ARE THERE ANY STANDARDS THAT MUST BE MET ??? I couldn't find any Coast Guard regs.
or Merc. info but there must be some spec. or minimum area requirements ... Because it's considered an inboard it has a blower but that's all I rustled up . HELP !!!

kuptii said:
I've got a boat with a 175 SJ ... It has a straight floor with the engine box (cover,cowl,whatever you call it) sticking up and out and taking up a lot of space.I want to
modify its dimentions to give myself a little more deck space in the stern. ARE THERE ANY STANDARDS THAT MUST BE MET ??? I couldn't find any Coast Guard regs.
or Merc. info but there must be some spec. or minimum area requirements ... Because it's considered an inboard it has a blower but that's all I rustled up . HELP !!!
Maybe posting a few pics would help, but Merc suggests a min top/side clearance of 2". My early 175 SJ boxes were 26" wide. Over all box ht depends on floor ht. As to the blower, easy enough to replace with a new one?

Try These !!!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 416
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 416
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 416
The boat is a 'Clark' made in Bellavue Iowa ... Actuall width of the opening is 29" and clearance at the top of the engine to the 'lid' is 1.5" ... I plan on chopping off the storage area in front of the motor compartment and put stick steering in ... after I remove the CC ...

I want as much OPEN space in the boat as I can generate !!!!

Some pictures below ...

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 397
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 397