What to use to clean old sticker glue of painted hull ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnDew

Reaction score
I have a aluminium hull that is painted and removing the previous owners stickers has left a residue. What is safe to clean off the old glue, but not remove the paint as well ?

-rob

the goo gone I have says not to use on painted surface .. I tested a spot and it made the paint gooey..

if I use wd40... won't I just have an oily mess that the new stickers won't stick to ?

I am assuming I use the wd40 to clean the old glue mess, then basic dishsoap to clean the wd40 off ?

-thanks

MtnDew said:
the goo gone I have says not to use on painted surface .. I tested a spot and it made the paint gooey..

if I use wd40... won't I just have an oily mess that the new stickers won't stick to ?

I am assuming I use the wd40 to clean the old glue mess, then basic dishsoap to clean the wd40 off ?

-thanks

Yes you will have to use a degreaser such as dish soap or one to clean parts in. Make sure whatever you use to clean it is water soluable

90% isopropyl if you can find it. Or 75% if nothing else.

We used that to remove tape residue from brand new cars at the factory. They were clear coated though. You might get some oxidation rubbing off of regular paint just test a little spot first. Fingernail polish remover works too if you are careful.

There is a product called Pec-12. It's a film emulsion cleaner. I know about it because I've been a professional photographer for 33 years. That stuff will eat and soften glue residue. It is NOT safe on certain plastics though, but is great at removing sharpie marker!
Depending on how much residue is still there will determine how much elbow grease you still need. I'd spray it and let it soak a little...but it also has alcohol in it so it evaporates quickly too.

Here's a link to some. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/71147-REG/Photographic_Solutions_PEC.html

Latest posts