What's the big difference? circuit breakers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

authentic

Reaction score
I was preparing my list of supplies to order, to wire my boat today, and noticed a huge difference in price, but I'm not sure if I actually need the pricier one. They're both in the trolling motor circuit breaker section. One is 50 amp and one is 60 amp, but do I need 60? I've got a 74lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum

https://www.iboats.com/24-Volt-Marine-Circuit-Breaker-with-Manual-Reset-50Amp-Rig-Rite/dm/cart_id.530012165--session_id.806275470--view_id.197184

https://www.iboats.com/60-AMP-Marine-Circuit-Breaker-w-Manual-Reset/dm/cart_id.530012165--session_id.806275470--view_id.390978

I happen to have a Minn Kota dealer brochure from when I got my motor handy. The 2010 Maxxum is listed in 80 and 70 lb thrust. The max amperage draw of the 80 lb motor is 54 amps. So you need to get a breaker that's rated at 60 amps. If you got the 50 then there would be the chance that when running your motor at its top speed it would draw too much and pop your breaker resulting in annoying resets. Get the 60 amp model.

i second the above... 60amp. When you get out on the water and make long runs in high gear, reach down and feel the head of the motor... you'll see why you want the 60amp

Why do you need one of those? My trolling motor gets wired directly to the battery, is that bad?
I am in the dark when it comes to electricity (pun intended).

WhiteMoose said:
Why do you need one of those? My trolling motor gets wired directly to the battery, is that bad?
I am in the dark when it comes to electricity (pun intended).
Electricity can damage your motor, especially when it's wired directly to the battery without some sort of breaker in-between. Chances are slim, but a $30 part could save a lot of hassle should your wires cook.

We just received our 40# Minn Kota Edge, and in the manual, Minn Kota recommendes installing a 60 amp circuit,
part# MKR-19.

Ok, follow up question- I picked up a 60 amp breaker, along with a couple 6', 4ga lengths of battery cables (I couldn't find 6ga anywhere).
I plan on getting a trolling motor plug from BPS that has 8ga wire. So starting from the motor, I have whatever gauge wire that is (8 maybe?) going into a plug up front. Then from the plug, I would have the 4ga battery cables, running under my floor back to the batteries with my 60 amp breaker somewhere between. Does this sound OK?

WhiteMoose said:
Ok, follow up question- I picked up a 60 amp breaker, along with a couple 6', 4ga lengths of battery cables (I couldn't find 6ga anywhere).
I plan on getting a trolling motor plug from BPS that has 8ga wire. So starting from the motor, I have whatever gauge wire that is (8 maybe?) going into a plug up front. Then from the plug, I would have the 4ga battery cables, running under my floor back to the batteries with my 60 amp breaker somewhere between. Does this sound OK?

My guess is the wires coming off the motor are 10 ga wire - that's pretty standard and that's what is on my 24v 71# motor.

From the motor - you are right ... motor wires to plug.

Then the other plug you can tie the 4ga and 8ga wires together. I would use an insulated power distribution block in lieu of trying to wire them together and electrical tape - for $5, it's a no brainer - https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-4-8-Distribution-Block/dp/B0002KR1YG. All you do is screw the 4ga wire in one hole, then put the 8ga wire from to the other. You probably need 2 blocks - one for positive, one for negative.

The fuse should be on the 4ga wire about a foot or less from the battery.

Latest posts