Which OMC tank for my Johnson motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camhart

Reaction score
Hi, I just picked up a 1976 Johnson 35hp outboard model #35R79A, and I need to purchase a used metal gas tank and hose kit. This is my first Johnson/Evinrude, and I'm reading about pressurized and non-pressurized tanks. I've attached a pic of the fuel line connector, is this the "double-line" system I've heard about? There are many OMC metal tanks for sale on FB Marketplace, how do I know which tank will work with my boat? Thanks for helping a noobie out! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 9.04.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 9.04.31 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi, I just picked up a 1976 Johnson 35hp outboard model #35R79A, and I need to purchase a used metal gas tank and hose kit. This is my first Johnson/Evinrude, and I'm reading about pressurized and non-pressurized tanks. I've attached a pic of the fuel line connector, is this the "double-line" system I've heard about? There are many OMC metal tanks for sale on FB Marketplace, how do I know which tank will work with my boat? Thanks for helping a noobie out! :)

That looks like a single line system. One “prong” is for the fuel, the other to hold the fitting on the motor. I believe most if not all of OMCs dual line pressurized tanks were phased out in the 60’s.

The old dual line tank fittings actually have 3 "pins". One for each line and then a securing pin in the middle.

There are both 3-gallon and 6 gallon single line tanks available for your engine. Both are metal and I would recommend you stay with a metal tank. Either purchase the OMC primer bulb and OMC fittings separately and add your own line or you can purchase the entire assy.
Stay away from cheap fuel system components!
Single line tanks will or should have either the older round sight glass in them or the newer rectangular one. Either one is fine however the newer design is a bit more friendly to repair if necessary.
A tell-tale sign of the need to repair on these tanks will be a fuel leak at the tank end of the fitting. If you see this then repair parts are available for the fitting including the tiny quad ring that is the usual culprit. Also keep in mind that a fuel leak in this location is also an air leak while at high RPM and load on the engine. Repairs are pretty easy and will probably last you throughout your boating career.

That's a standard OMC fitting. The pressurized systems were for older motors. Pre 70s I think. As for a tank, I'd go with whatever you can scarf up cheap locally. Metal tanks have their advantages, but so do plastic tanks. What you really don't want is a brand new plastic tank because they are unvented! EG: They blow up like a balloon in the sun.

Latest posts