Wire and fuse size?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hercload

Reaction score
Hello everybody, long time lurker first time poster. I am currently rewiring my 16' Alumacraft and the questions I have are:

1. What size wire is best for wiring nav lights and a bilge pump

2. I am wiring 12V outlets directly from the battery. What size wire and inline fuse should I use. I will be running spotlights.

Thanks for the help. Love the forum.

I would use 16 gau stranded wire with around 10 or 15 amp fuse for bilge & lights. Fuse size depending on draw of bilge pump.
16 gau. stranded wire also for 12v ports with 20 amp fuse.

(14 gau. stranded on 12v ports if run whole length of boat though.)
Remember you can never go wrong with larger gau. wire especially on longer runs.

A wire gauge selection chart is attached. Choose your amp draw and lenght needed, it will recommend a gauge. Good luck.

Attachments

• Wire Chart.JPG
    Wire Chart.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 859
Wallijig said:
I would use 16 gau stranded wire with around 10 or 15 amp fuse for bilge & lights. Fuse size depending on draw of bilge pump.
16 gau. stranded wire also for 12v ports with 20 amp fuse.

(14 gau. stranded on 12v ports if run whole length of boat though.)
Remember you can never go wrong with larger gau. wire especially on longer runs.

Don't folllow the above advice unless you want fried wires and possibly a fire.

16 ga will be fine for your lights and bilge. A 3 amp fuse should be good for those, depending on the size of your bilge pump yo may need to go a little larger.

For the 12v plugs, I would go nothing smaller than 10ga. You really need to find out what the draw on your spotlight are.