wire size??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnseymour

Reaction score
I'm just about done w/ my build "16 foot owuchta 3 guys w/ some beer". I will have a front and bacl nav light, and inside light for night fishing, and 60 watt radio that will be wired directly to the batt but everthing else will be wired to a 4 gand fuse panel that i picked up at bass pro. I says its 35 amps maxx 7 amps single with inline fuses. I have already started to run the wireing in the boat so heres my question...I'm useing trailer wire. My buddies that are helping w/ the build had a few extra rolls and thats what we used. Is this wire big enough to use for what im doing?? The only thing that will be "on" for any extended amount for time is the radio...I dont want the wireing to get to hot because is will be hidden behind all my decking..just want to be safe...any feed back would be great...thanks

I think most people are going to tell you to reconsider using the trailer wiring due to safety and durability issues. I'm a noob at this though, so I'm sure some electrical guru's will chime in and tell you their experienced opinion. Check out this website.https://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/wiring/wiring.htm. I was actually cruising it a second ago trying to figure out what size wire to buy for my build. I'm not sure what Table B is trying to say, but Tables C and D are very useful. I've heard Ancor is good stuff, but my budget will probably limit me to some marine wire from Cabelas.com

Here is a simple chart for calculating wire size, go by the amp your X requires and feet of wire needed. So if your demand is 15 amps and you need 15 feet, go with 10 gauge wire.

Attachments

• Wire Chart.JPG
    Wire Chart.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 622
thanks guys BUT,,,,,,what size is the traier wire? I think it is 14-16 so I think I will be fine??? It is the same wire that I used to rewire my boat trailer and had alot left over..The longest run from the batt is no more than 10 feet...I'm still at a loss

I used trailer wire to run my nav lights, fog lights, and 12v plug ins. It is 16ga. Mine runs about 13ft. Have not had any problems with it yet.

Latest posts