Non-Wired Nav Lights?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alteredpilot

Reaction score
Trying to keep my set up as simple as possible, and I don't want to be looking at wiring. Any recommendations on high quality, non-wired, battery powered nav lights? thanks.

Colregs won't apply there .... so go to Walmart or order online, as they make nifty LED bulb red/green and white all-around lights for use on small skiffs. I've seen them for ~$25 each or so at WallyWorld.

I used the old style with D or C batteries and they were barely adequate, however, todays LED battery powered are much better. Not gonna be as cheap as the old style but new LED' s are good !! Remember to carry spare batteries!

Colregs won't apply there .... so go to Walmart or order online, as they make nifty LED bulb red/green and white all-around lights for use on small skiffs. I've seen them for ~$25 each or so at WallyWorld.
Maybe not but why would you want to trust your LIFE to something that you know is inadequate??...

Some new LED lights can be very bright, possibly enough for 2MN visibility. I installed a set on my boat, and caught a lot of grief years ago, but they turned to be USCG approved when I checked.

I would also be surprised if Walmart sold something not approved.

Some new LED lights can be very bright, possibly enough for 2MN visibility. I installed a set on my boat, and caught a lot of grief years ago, but they turned to be USCG approved when I checked.

I would also be surprised if Walmart sold something not approved.
I'm not sure that WM knows they aren't...... READ the label on the packaging...

2 years ago I bought a set of the battery operated ones (from WM) to use on a canoe that I was going to utilize to get into a couple of duck spots that my Jon wouldn't fit into. I wasn't 50 feet off the bank when a Warden pulled up and called me back to explain that the lights weren't CG approved and would result in a ticket if I left the shore. I still had the packaging at home and when I READ it they didn't say they weren't CG approved and also did NOT say they were. I called CG station in Charleston and they were NOT approved......
Personally I don't give a rat's azz what you use, if you get run over, or get a ticket my day will go on as usual.....

So what actually makes them USCG approved besides the label on the packaging? Its it distance seen, brightness? I have a cheap pair I got of Amazon and would probably think they are not but not really sure. I was recently looking at Attwoods clamp on for my plastic pontoon but they dont say they are USCG Just assumed if they lit up they work. Now I am concerned. Dont need to get a ticket thats for sure.

Are you boating at night I a major waterway where boat traffic is heavy? Is so then your lighting will be more critical. If your boating in out of the way places or where little or few other boats are around, then you wont be bothered. We were out on July 4 fireworks and numerous small craft had only glowsticks some stuck to the bots and some just handheld. We overheard many local CG and sheriff boats telling them they were not legal but at least they had something and to stay away from main traffic flow. Not one ticket was issued for lighting....drunk drivers..yes, lots of them!!

Dick answer.
And so was yours, Look, I don't care what you use, or even if you don't use anything. No skin off my nose if you become tomorrows front page, headline news. Your choice, I was relating MY experience with a $55.00 ticket for "inadequate lighting"....
You do YOU, and I'll take care of ME...... out...

And so was yours, Look, I don't care what you use, or even if you don't use anything. No skin off my nose if you become tomorrows front page, headline news. Your choice, I was relating MY experience with a $55.00 ticket for "inadequate lighting"....
You do YOU, and I'll take care of ME...... out...
I bet I know why he got a 55 dollar ticket !!