Wiring my trolling motor... help !

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunker777

Reaction score
Hey

Ok so we need to start the wiring for my trollin motor. I was told that I need to wire it with 6 guage wire. The plug coming out of the foot pedal is only 10 guage. Then the plug in which it plugs into, when you buy it, comes with 10 guage leads.... but I noticed it also says for a 24V trolling motor.

DSC02691.jpg

DSC02692.jpg

DSC02693.jpg

Now... I want to tire my motor to be quick release.... What do you think the best way to do that would be...

Is there a way to wire direct to the battery to something with the 6 and then wire the plug with 10 guage from that ???? Im NOT an electrician hahah !

Thanks for any help !

Im pretty sure its a 12 V.... it was given to me so Im not 100% sure... I have no owners manual or nothing.

Its a 36lbs thrust motor guide !

The higher the voltage goes, the lower the current draw will be. Electrically speaking, a 24 volt will be less draw then a 12v and a 36 volt would draw the least. If the motor leads are 10 gauge, stick with the 10 gauge. You can check the draw of the motor and size the wire accordingly too. If you plan to upgrade it can't hurt to go bigger. I did experience one time I had a plug burn up on me because of the current draw on it. I called the manufacture and he said it should of had bigger wire, I told him well it was the wire from the motor itself which was factory and he didn't know what to say. I would put a inline fuse to prevent any damage anyway. Also a three prong plug can be used for 12v, you just have to find out which two holes are being used.

Yeah, I'd say you are fine with 10awg wire.. You can always bump up to a bigger size up to the connector if you are running a long run.. But your TM probably only pulls ~25-30amps at its highest speed which is just fine for 10awg wire.. Still fuse or circuit breaker that bad boy though..