Yamaha C40~cranky at start-up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamahaC40Guy

Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering if you might have any ideas on this one. I have a '99 C40 2 stroke that USED to run like a top. Got it winterized last fall, and it's first run this spring was a real stinker. Ran rich, stalled-out, smoked, etc. etc. Took it back to the mechanic who winterized it, he did a $200 clean-out of the carburetor (?) and suggested that it was gummed-up. He also said that there was some residue from the ethanol-rich gas I was using and that I ought to be using a product like Yamaha's "Ring Free" for overall improvement and cleanliness. Being the dutiful lad that I am, I've followed the doctor's orders. The problem is, SINCE that carb job, it hasn't started as easily as it used to. Once started, it runs even better, but it's as though the engine just isn't getting the gas at the start. There is no smell like it's flooded either. It starts with very reluctantly, takes multiple attempts too. Every start-up for the rest of the day is bang-on, it's just the first start of the day that leaves me wondering if I'm ever GOING to get it going. :(

So, not really knowing what to do in the dark when I'm at the launch (with other boats waiting :oops: ) I lift-off the cowling, check that the plugs are connected, disconnect/reconnect the fuel hose, prime the bulb and one or more of those things seem to help, but the engine still resists. I've gotten it going every time, but it's a fight...and some reward for having spent some (too much?) on what should have made it behave better than ever. Very frustrating.

I used to credit the mechanic I use for how well this engine ran, but I'm beginning to think it has more to do with how well the previous owner had it maintained. Not interested in going back to this guy, even if it is something he messed-up on. Ideas?

Thanks SO much,
Rob

Sorry for the delay in response, I've lost the log-in password on my home computer. (?) I don't THINK it's losing prime, but I'll have a closer look next time. I don't really know what's causing it. My 10 minutes of checking all the connections and generally scratching my head seems to result in a very reluctant start. In years past, I've flooded engines plenty of times and you can easily tell when TOO much gas is the problem. In my case, it seems as though it isn't getting enough. What's odd, is that it starts so easily the rest of the day, sometimes being turned off for an hour or two between moving. In those cases, it fires-up instantly.

I have the same motor and have had the same problem. There is not any real choke on it. What it has is a solenoid that allows fuel to go the the carb. As you continue to allow the switch to be turned in the on position it slowly closes the solenoid. So what you have to do is pump the prime bulb and then turn the key and just stay on it. It will fire and start running. I have had the same problem at the launch. I use the trolling motor to get out of the way and then start it up. My motor takes about 15 seconds to start the first time and then I can hardly turn the key with out it starting. If you want more info send me a PM and we can exchange a phone number to talk on the phone...there is too much to post here.

PM replied. Good talking to you Rob. Hope I gave you some info that will help. If your still having trouble let me know.