14ft V-hull mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the deck you put in up front looks great! so does the hatch. do you plan on installing a latch for it? i did with mine because it gives it a little handle to grab onto as well. just an idea for ya. as far as the flooring goes, that looks good to, i plan on doing the same for mine. do you plan on attaching the plywood to the ribs on the floor or just having it sit there? if so, how do you plan on attaching it. im curious because i need some ideas. haha. thx. keep up the good work. =D>

phxbuckeye said:
the deck you put in up front looks great! so does the hatch. do you plan on installing a latch for it? i did with mine because it gives it a little handle to grab onto as well. just an idea for ya. as far as the flooring goes, that looks good to, i plan on doing the same for mine. do you plan on attaching the plywood to the ribs on the floor or just having it sit there? if so, how do you plan on attaching it. im curious because i need some ideas. haha. thx. keep up the good work. =D>

I am going to get a strip of webbing and fold it over it's self to create a small tab to stick out of the top of the deck to pull on to open the hatch. I am going to leave the floor loose, able to be pulled out so I can clean under them if need be.

Seth-

Got all the pieces of the floor and decks carpeted today. Had a few buddies over so it we got a lot done today.

Here is applying the marine carpet glue:
P1060601.jpg

P1060591.jpg

Corners of one of the floors folded over, stapled and glued.
P1060599.jpg

Also started paint today. I am painting the inside of the boat where it will be exposed. I have already sanded and prep the areas.
P1060604.jpg

I am using this stuff. It works awesome, but make sure to have proper ventilation.
P1060605.jpg

Seth-

Looks good. I too like the mini nuts and bolts but....may I make one suggestion? Replace those plain nuts with nylock nuts (the nuts with the nylon insert in them). Those plain nuts will loosen with vibrations and you will constantly be re-tightening them. Get it done and then happy fishing.

Good point, I had thought about that, but then forgot. I might put on lock washers too.

Seth-

Feels like I might be making some progress.

The back "deck" area is now attached and I should be putting the seat mount down in the next few days.
P1060627.jpg

Front "deck" complete. The seat is what came with the boat, I will upgrade at a later date.
P1060624.jpg

Next up is the outside of the boat and work a little on the trailer.

Seth-

how much paint did it take to do the whole boat? this is what im planning on doing with mine. Also, where did you buy the paint at...i just came across this website the other day while looking for ways to put a floor etc in my 1965 Richline

dsmith27 said:
how much paint did it take to do the whole boat? this is what im planning on doing with mine. Also, where did you buy the paint at...i just came across this website the other day while looking for ways to put a floor etc in my 1965 Richline

A gallon of the Parker Boat Paint will a boat this size just fine.....probably with a bit left over.
You can get it at Cabela's for about $40.
https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006070220075a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=parker+boat+paint&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0

Seth-

if you dont mind me asking, around how much did it cost to make all these modifications. I just kinda want an idea what i can expect to pay etc....im really excited about starting mine! thanks for the info...also did you decide to leave the middle bench in and are you painting the outside of the boat with the same paint you did the inside? sorry for all the questions, im new to this and just curious

Very nice and very clean. Good job. dsmith27, i have a 68 richline. Ours should be petty similar. I have about $400 in my boat. Still not finished but it catches fish.

do you have pics of your Richline posted on here anywhere? another ? i have, how many feet of carpet did it take you guys to do the whole project..Im looking online to see best place to get carpet and going to run to town in a little bit to price some as well.

dsmith27 said:
if you dont mind me asking, around how much did it cost to make all these modifications. I just kinda want an idea what i can expect to pay etc....im really excited about starting mine! thanks for the info...also did you decide to leave the middle bench in and are you painting the outside of the boat with the same paint you did the inside? sorry for all the questions, im new to this and just curious

The cost so far has been about $150....for me. The paint I got from a buddy who used it on his boat and had left over so no cost there. Got some lumber from the cull bin at Home Depot, had some left over 2x3s and 2x4s, and a few simpson strong tie brackets laying around. I had to buy mostly hardware, screws, nuts bolts, carpet, glue and such. The carpet I used cost about 15 bucks for an 8x6 section from HD. I had to use 2 rolls.

Funny you should ask about the outside of the boat...

Sanded down the outside of the boat. This thing is a lot more dented then I knew, but the guy who had it before me did a pretty good job preping and painting it.
P1060662.jpg

Wet paint on....
P1060665.jpg

Next morning some what dry.
P1060692.jpg

With the Parkers, it is important to let it set for a couple of days. With most oil based paint, the longer it cures, the harder it becomes.

Seth-

dsmith27 said:
what grit sandpaper did you use

I used 100 grit sand paper.

I took the time while the boat was drying to replace the bunks on the trailer.
P1060688.jpg

P1060690.jpg

I got new 2X4 and coated them in the Parker's boat paint. Then covered them in the carpet.

P1060696.jpg

Marked centers, and then mortised out where the bolts will sit.
P1060695.jpg

I put lock nuts on these with washers
P1060698.jpg

P1060701.jpg

Seth-

I need a little help...

This is what my wheels and hubs look like. Am I going to need new baring and hubs? What size and how do I measure to find out what size they are?
P1060699.jpg

Seth-

i see you have dogs. anyway, i would pull hud apart and check bearings. if they are ok, repack then and reassemble. been a lon time since i took one of these apart, but i think there is a seal that you can replace when you reassemble the hub to keep the grease from leakiing out like that.

stew6371 said:
i see you have dogs. anyway, i would pull hud apart and check bearings. if they are ok, repack then and reassemble. been a lon time since i took one of these apart, but i think there is a seal that you can replace when you reassemble the hub to keep the grease from leakiing out like that.

I do have a dog, but that's not from him.....the previous owner has like 3 dogs.

Are the hubs specific to the trailer? And where do I start when pulling them apart. I really don't want to mess them up.

Seth-

I got some left over Herculiner from a buddy of mine so I decided to put some on.

Here is some of the prep.
P1060703.jpg

P1060704.jpg

Putting it on. Used the supplied roller and a brush. Worked really well.
P1060705.jpg

Once is starts setting up you need to take off the tape, otherwise once it dries, it is SUPER hard to get the tape to separate.
P1060709.jpg

P1060708.jpg

Seth-

It's coming along great. I've been watching from the start, but I guess I've been asleep, because it wasn't until these last pics that I realized that we have the same boat. (my Texas title says 1965 Sears) Only difference I can see is it looks like someone raised your transom.