3 people, not so many fish, conowingo dam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbirocz

Reaction score
Well I had great expectations from my last trip on Monday to the Conowingo dam for shad, but yesterday was not so great. I woke up grumpy, which is not too unusual, but the day just went downhill from there.

I left with my girlfriend and roommate for susquehanna fishing tackle to get shad darts and flutter spoons. Somehow I ended up spending $40 on that crap. Anyway, we made it to the liquor/bait shop to get licenses and then hit the dam. As we walked to the dam, I was greeted by a man that said "the fish shut off two hours ago." Great....so I headed to the dam and sat on a rock and tied up rigs. Another guy walked by and talked with me. I told him about all the fish on monday, and he again told me the fish seemed to shut off, but in a much nicer way.

So we started to fish, and it was white perch city for John boy and Adrienne. My first cast, luckily hooked into John Boy's line and he proceeded to cut his line...well he thought it was. So I had to rig up again after my first cast. John and Adrienne both hooked into some huge gizzard shad and Adrienne had a hickory on for a while. I continued to have tackle issues and was annoyed with the upstream winds. We made a move downstream from the dam, where I atleast saw some fish hitting. Adrienne snagged multiple times and hooked no more fish. Many of her first casts went into trees, so I was tying a lot of rigs all day. John boy ended up doing pretty well with 17 fish, mainly being hickory shad, but he also caught a few baby stripers and some that we close to 20", a nice walleye, and some white perch. I ended the day with probly around 10 to 15 hickory shad and a huge gizzard. We tried again by the dam, but it was dead.

Overall it was not that bad of a day, I just expected to do better, and for Adrienne to hook into some Hickory Shad. She didnt seem to be able to get the feel for it. Oh well not everyday can be a bang up day for shad.

Sorry to hear you had a rough day but at least you were fishing... next time will be better.

Well you might still have some time, but if not theres always next year. Im in the next year boat myself, for two days they had packed into the creek mouth I fish, and there pretty much gone now only saw one this morning

John Boy knows what to do when someone upstream sabotages his fishing - CUT THE LINE!

Did he at least tie you a new rig?

Latest posts