35HP Evinrude on 14ft jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNinja

Reaction score
Alright guys yesterday I bought a nice 35hp on a whim..My boat has a 15hp on it now but I of course want to be able to move around alot better since I usually fish with 2-3 big guys in boat at a time..Will this motor fit my 14ft boat do you think?? cause it looks huge when i got it home!!!!!! :? did I just blow money on something that wont fit my boat haha???

post pictures of your transom... what does the Max HP rating say on the card on your boat?

russ010 said:
post pictures of your transom... what does the Max HP rating say on the card on your boat?

I will take a pic tonight and post it tommorrow..It doesnt have any stickers on it

You always have the choice of not using the entire throttle range but I would be more concerned about how much extra weight was hanging on the transom.

Quackrstackr said:
You always have the choice of not using the entire throttle range but I would be more concerned about how much extra weight was hanging on the transom.

I'd be really surprised if that thing could turn even relatively sharp without swamping out.

Move some of the weight around in the boat and put set of pods on it.
How wide is the boat?

Depending on the year, that motor should weigh about 120 - 125 #'s.How wide is the bottom of your boat.That makes a big difference.Also as stated your transom,how is it braced.

crazymanme2 said:
Depending on the year, that motor should weigh about 120 - 125 #'s.How wide is the bottom of your boat.That makes a big difference.Also as stated your transom,how is it braced.

I am not sure I will get the mesurements and the pics tonight and post um tommorrow morning..Thanks for all the help boys!

If it does fit, I think you will have a tough time seeing where you are going because your eyelids and lips are gonna be peeled back over your face!! :shock: Seriously though, I would guess that the transom on the boat is made for a short shaft (15 inches), and that 35 might be a long shaft (20 inches). I don't think you wasted your money though. Look on the bright side, it gives you an excuse for a larger boat! :D :D

dyeguy1212 said:
Quackrstackr said:

I'd be really surprised if that thing could turn even relatively sharp without swamping out.

I've got a 14' Sylvan that is rated at a MAX of 35 hp. It's about 14'2" with a max beam of 68".

The USCG has a formula to determine what the MAX HP should be for boats without BIA Plates..to estimate the coast guard formula is (2 x width x length) - 90. The number is then rounded to the nearest 5.

I've got a 14' Sylvan that is rated at a MAX of 35 hp. It's about 14'2" with a max beam of 68".

The USCG has a formula to determine what the MAX HP should be for boats without BIA Plates..to estimate the coast guard formula is (2 x width x length) - 90. The number is then rounded to the nearest 5.

Am I reading this wrong or by the calculations of the above formula (2 x width x length -90 = ) is it true I could put on a 774 hp outboard on my boat?

:shock:

Talk about peeling your eyelids and lips back over your face. On the other hand it would strengthen my prayer life [-o<

Bufford in Orlando

I was having the same problem when I tried using it. 36"x2x168"-90=12,006Hp or 3'x2x14'-90=-6Hp

The calculation is in this pdf... https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

Basically, you take the lenght x width. This will give you a FACTOR. The factor is then used in a scale to tell you what HP you should handle.

I just did my 1546 Xpress which is rated for a 25HP...

L x W = 14.5 x 3.8 = 55.2 (factor)
This falls into the 30 HP rating. Then you have to account for flat bottom boats, which is when they say take it down 5hp, so 25HP

Well I worked out the formula and bought my new engine. My 1448 should scoot across the water pretty good now. Any of you guys have any idea how to install this thing? I cant find the clamp bolts anywhere...

Attachments

• boatmotor.jpg
    boatmotor.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 993
Thanks Russ....although you did just shoot my dreams into little bitty pieces.... :cry:

Nathanial.....you go boy! =D>

Bufford in Orlando

nathanielrthomas said:
Well I worked out the formula and bought my new engine. My 1448 should scoot across the water pretty good now. Any of you guys have any idea how to install this thing? I cant find the clamp bolts anywhere...
I think your going to need a jack plate.

Latest posts