'68 Mirrocraft Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345183#p345183 said:
huntinfool » 17 Mar 2014, 06:30[/url]"]Great job, go get her wet!

Easy for you to say down there in Katy. Hows Conroe fishing now a days?

We have snow forcast in the mountains around us, only one lake nearby is open year round to fish. At least one that doesnt freeze over.

Conroe in the 80's was phenomenal. Now there is hardly any shoreline left that doesn't have a house or something on it and the weekend ski, jet ski, and party boats is crazy. I'm talking about fishing 30 yards from the bank and casting towards the bank and have a jet ski come haulin' butt between you and the bank and catch or cut your line.
CRAZY.
But there is some good fishing on the north end where there are more stumps and more natural shoreline.

Pulled these two out the other day.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395231507310.jpg[/attachment]
Well I can only find the one right now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395231507310.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395231507310.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,049
Finishing touches still, little things take time.
I do have a question about the outboard angle. I never have set up an outboard so advice is welcome.

When I bought the boat, the motor was set up on the angle shown in the one picture, one hole higher than middle. It ran about 22 mph, plowed some starting off, took a bit to get on plane.

The other picture is with it set 2 notches down from original. One hole lower than middle.

I realize I will have to test it in the water, but any better idea for a starting point?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 1,015
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 1,015
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 1,015
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 1,015
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 1,015
You want the cavitation plate to be about even with the bottom of the hull. Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it might be OK.

Looks like motor was set way to high before, where you have it now should give you better performance. You should try it even lower and see how it runs.

Thanks for the replies.
The cavitation plate sits about 1-1 1/2 inches below the bottom of the hull, I will get a better measurement tonight.
I was thinking of putting a 3/4-1 inch spacer on top of the transom to raise it up a little.

Yes, I do think that originally it was tilted to far and will just have to test it out.
From what I saw online, with an out board its a compromise.

Latest posts