Aluminum for floor.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrip

Reaction score
Fairly new here, been lurking for a while. I'm wanting to put a floor in a one year old 1648 Sylvan. I found a
5X12 ft. sheet of 1/8 aluminum for scrap price of $150. It's a lot more than what I need but it's the only scrap I have been able to find without having to drive to far and they wont cut it. I think the price is good for this area. My question is, is the .125 aluminum a bit of overkill and to heavy? I'm guessing it will ad about 60 lbs. to the boat.

It will work great! Because it is heavy you can save on the amount of bracing needed

You will be surprised at how fast you will go through a sheet like that - so I do not think it is way more then what you will need.

Think raised casting deck next! =P~

I have that for the floor in mine . it's like walking in your kitchen ,nothing moves , feels good and strong and he's right about the leftovers ... nice casting deck .

I always wondered about using aluminum for the flooring. At the price of marine grade plywood seems a good way to go. The last time I bought a sheet of aluminum (although its been a few years) it wasnt all that expensive. the extra cost should prove worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the input everyone. Think I will go for it. I'm sure I will find a use for the extra somewhere down the road.

The only problem I had when I put mine in was cutting it. I thought the neighbors would kill me when I went to cutting it out. Make a templet out if cardboard to make sure you've got everything right . Before you put it down , clean the tops of the ribs real good and apply 3M 5200 to the ribs . Anchor it down with aluminum rivets. No rattling and it's there to stay .

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342065#p342065 said:
Paul Marx » Yesterday, 4:27 pm[/url]"]The only problem I had when I put mine in was cutting it. I thought the neighbors would kill me when I went to cutting it out. Make a templet out if cardboard to make sure you've got everything right . Before you put it down , clean the tops of the ribs real good and apply 3M 5200 to the ribs . Anchor it down with aluminum rivets. No rattling and it's there to stay .

I agree with all of this except for the 5200. You'll most likely at some point have to take your floor out to fix a leaky rivet, clean, etc. All the 5200 is going to do is give you a headache trying to get your floor back out. Mine is attached to the ribs with rivets and it's very sturdy. It also is quiet and doesn't vibrate or rattle. I attribute that to getting my foam board in the proper size to fit snugly under the floor.

if you put carpet on top of your ribs before you put your plate it will not rattle . I screwed mine. stainless washer under head to spread the load . it's been in there 5 years with no issues. haven't had a screw loosen up yet . I would deff not glue it down . I also put foam under the floor that really cuts the noise and adds flotation also adds little resistance to denting the bottom .... as always just my opinion

I will be putting foam between the ribs. Also thinking about putting a bead of silicone on top of each rib to take care of the rattles.

Latest posts