Mojo's 1995 Sea Nymph 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigwave,

Put "Imarine" in google, it will find you the link to that websight. I saw one that's the same but next gen with a weatherband on that sight a few day's ago when I was xmas shopping for relatives.

DrNip,

All the rivets in that boat were 3/16". Well all the structural, there's a few spots where I put some 1/8". Small hinges and such. A note on rivets. If your going to be doing as much as I did just save yourself the hassle and find somewhere online to get them in bulk. I have used well over 1000 of the things so far and I wish we had just gotten a big ole box of em.

Mojo

At the time I asked I mistook the pic of your rivet gun as a 1/4" gun. Looking back at it I realize it is the 3/16" gun which is $30 cheaper. I won't be using near the amount of rivets you did but will be quite a few. Thanks!

We were out in the garage again this week and I got to the step I've kind of been dreading.

Time to cut out the top deck. I'm using .08 thick aluminum and to tell you the truth was a bit hesitant on cutting it, I really didn't want to screw it up and ruin a big piece of that stuff and have to shell out the cash to get another.

I used some thin blue foam that we had to make a template. I like this stuff a whole lot better than cardboard, it cut super easy with an exacto blade. We got it all cut out and put up top. I was proud of myself and we were only off about 1/4 of an inch on one hatch lid opening. So its not exactly to the edge on the back side of the storage hatch. I can live with that.

The sheet we had isn't big enough to make one big cutout for the whole front of the boat so it ended up being 3 different sections. I'll have a couple of seams up front on the carpet but thats not a big deal in my opinion.

We also ALMOST had enough with a 12x4 sheet to get the whole top of the boat done. I was an Inch short length ways on the very front battery hatch.. just didn't have enough. We'll have to go get a small piece of aluminum this Monday to cut that one out and then we'll have it all ready for vinyl and hinges.

On to the pictures.

Here's the blue foam, i cut it as close as I could to the curve of the side wall then used a washer and a marker to draw my line so it conformed to the curve perfect.
IMG125.jpg

Putting down the biggest cut blue foam.
IMG126.jpg

First major piece done.
IMG134.jpg

Here's all three of the front pieces done. You can also see way in the back I got the cut out done for the bilge area cover. So we got everything done but the very front cover which was approx 5x1. Just didn't have enough.
IMG138.jpg

Another angel.
IMG139.jpg

Yet another..
IMG140.jpg

typed by ben said:
now shes starting to look like a fishing boat instead of a project... awesome
I know, Right! I'm thinking if I push hard we can have her done by the end of the week ready for the water.

Ok so today, I had one more small area of space under the deck that wasn't being utilized so we decided to make a small Dry Box to put wallets and cell phones and boat papers and any other crap we don't want water on.

I have lots of scrap from all the other work that went on so I made a small box and put vinyl on it then put it in the empty spot.. add another of those nifty access covers and BLAM... Dry Box! I made it 12x10 inch's and 6 inch's deep.

Also, since the deck isn't screwed down just yet I'll tap into my interior light circuit and put another LED pod in there. I mean.. why not right??

Here's the box I made, You can see the overspray paint marks and such.. who cares its going to be under the deck.. out of sight out of mind. I also got to play with that glue again.. and I got it all over me.. again. :LOL2:
IMG145.jpg

Box in its new home right in front of the electronics bay. Look more blue tape..
IMG146.jpg

Deck and Access hatch over the new box.
IMG148.jpg

Access cover removed.. you can see my little box in there.
IMG149.jpg

The method you used to trace the shape of the hull is brilliant. Putting a marker in a washer and tracing the hull should be very accurate and easy to do. Thanks for showing that technique - I will be using it when I get to that stage.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the encouragement Gill. Centrarchidae, Your welcome! Hope that little trick helps you out.

The dream of getting this thing done for some weekend fishing is getting closer to coming true. Yesterday saw alot of the top vinyl cut out and glued down then clamped in place over night to dry.

Today I had to get my box made for the main storage compartment.. that is what I mostly worked on. It's a wierd shape, not a clean cut all 90 deg angels box. The front has a slope, the sides aren't strait angles, the gas tank sticks out a bit screwing up the back end so it's not just a strait shot either. To make a long story short, I had to cut each piece separate and put it together in place. No building the box and just dropping it in. Also I had to leave the inboard box wall off till I get the top deck put in place so I can get my hands in there to bolt down the front seat pedestal. I was also waiting for this stage of the build to get the lights for the that box installed then finish my wiring job on the rest of them.

So I got all my box pieces cut out, half a box built and carpeted, the rest of the lights installed and all wired to power. Tomorrow I'll bolt in my seat and finish up the box then start laying down the rest of the vinyl.

Here's the pics.

Building of the crazy shaped box.
IMG151.jpg

Let there be light!
Said I was gonna put an LED pod in the glove box.. here it is.
IMG150.jpg

Drain holes and a light in the rope locker.
IMG208.jpg

Half a box, carpeted and lights installed and working.
IMG209.jpg

Battery locker lit up.
IMG258 (2).jpg

The rod locker has lights too!
IMG240.jpg

Glove box and rope locker with covers on and lights shining.
IMG271 (2).jpg

First of all Mojo this is one of the best builds I've seen on here, I love the fact you're working with aluminum and no wood. Unfortunately my build is not going as fast as yours but I'll get there eventually. I would like to know about the vinyl you're using, where you got it from and the size it is. If you've already posted this info I apologize for the redundancy. Thanks

Buckethead

Hey Guy's,

Thanks Dave. The LED's were a must have.. I didn't want to be dorking around with flashlights at night if I could help it.

Buckethead, Thanks Man! I appreciate the complement. I got the vinyl decking from https://www.yourautotrim.com its Nautolex marine Vinyl Flooring "Shark Grey" I'd give you what I paid but I got it a couple of years back on that project that never got started. Anyhow just go check em out and see what you can find out, I don't know if the pricing has changed and I don't want to give out any bad info.

Ok, So obviously I didn't get done this weekend like I wanted.
First my fishing buddy Aka "Dad". Had to go on a shopping/overnight trip with my mom so it didn't matter If i finished fast or not.
Secondly I started trimming out the hatch edges and realized that the tops I made aren't going to fit right so I have to take them apart and cut them down a bit then put them back together so that's slowing me down. I'd Like to get this done but I don't need to rush it and screw something up at this point.
Third, An old Navy buddy of mine showed up from out of town and is hanging out for few day's so I'm not super motivated to work and I'm spending time hanging out with him.

I am doing some work just not as much. I'll show you guy's the trim. I have to say it's really looking good and after the whole boat is done its going to be pretty sharp.

First.. I've got a piece of flexible rubber trim to go around the gas tank fill cut I made that cleans that up quite a bit.
IMG272 (2).jpg

Here's the trim around the big storage area.
IMG273.jpg

Here's the storage area walls put up, seat mount installed and looking good.
IMG280 (2).jpg

Here's the seat in place. I admit it, I climbed up in it and pretended I was fishing for a bit. Rocked around and made sure it was mounted solid. Those bolts I put thru don't have any flex whatsoever.
IMG282 (2).jpg

Trim around the rod locker.
IMG281 (2).jpg

Update.

I ran into some trouble, I'm short on my vinyl and have to order some more to have a full piece to put on the back bilge deck. :(

So that's setting the completion time table all out of whack... well full completion anyhow. I figure we can still fish with the bilge open.. no biggie.

Got the back bench seat covered and the seat mounts back in place. Added a few cup holders I just have to do the trim on the edges and the back seat will be done.

IMG284 (2).jpg

IMG283 (2).jpg

Got 2 of my front hatches done.

The one for the cooler sits a little uneven.. sticking up a bit. Nothing to be done about it so It is what it is.

IMG285 (2).jpg