My Custom Fishing Machine 18'-0" Flat Bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats up huntinfool? Thanx for the welcome, yes we are almost neighbors, I was in Katy this weekend ( I had to go fetch a friend who broke down on the freeway) Ha Ha, not the best way to spend a Sunday morning.

The lights on the front deck are 12 volt docking lights. I mounted these mostly for aiding navigating at night they are not really "night fishing " lights because they only light up the area and do not penetrate the water below. I use a 1000 watt studio light for that. Recently I went to a fishing show at George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston and bought a submersible glow light, I haven't tried it yet but I let a friend use it and he says it works great and it lights up a big area.

It sounds like you are on your way to a nice build, lets see some pics.

Thanx for the compliments, and if I can help with the build in any way just ask. Also, if you ever get down this way let me know and maybe we can hook up and go wet a line together. Take care.

Sounds good. Can you post up a pic of the studio light and the submersable. I am looking for some options to go bowfishing. I don't want to rig my but "just" for bowfishing, but for all types of fishing. I want to be able to rig it as i need it for each type, but be able to do it fairly easily.
Also, where do you get your aluminum? I have several small pieces of flat, But I am looking for some square tubing. I do not want to pay full price if I can avoid it. I may just have to bite the bullet.
Definately have to go wet a line sometime. I appreciate the offer for the help, and the same back to you. If you ever need a hand. Here is one while under construction.
0806090946a.jpg
Here is one with the completed deck.
0720101003d.jpg
Here is one when completed...so far.
0720101002.jpg
I wanted to get it fishing, so I stopped my mod, plus I need to buy some materials, so I might as well use it while I am waiting.

Huntinfool, I have found the best place to get material around here in Triple SSS Steel, they have several locations check if there is one near you. I know what you mean about paying for materil, they don't exactly give aluminum away.

I'll get some pics of the studio light and the flourscent green light as soon as I can.

Your rig looks pretty cool, good job.

I finished up the wiring this past weekend. I mounted the fuse blocks and buss bars in plastic junction boxes I bought from Lowes for about $6.00 a piece, they work perfect cause when you put the lids on them they a pretty much waterproof. I also got around to installing a AM/FM/CD player with waterproof box speakers (I gotta have tunes to listen to on the water)

Attachments

• speaker.JPG
    speaker.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,838
  • stereo.JPG
    stereo.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,838
  • wiring.JPG
    wiring.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,838
  • storage.JPG
    storage.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,838
  • canvas.JPG
    canvas.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,838
Huntinfool,

Here is a few pics of the studio light we use to night fish with, these are 1000 watt Par Can lights (like bands use), They are a favorite at Texas City Dike https://www.houstonfreeways.com/modern/2006-11-24_texas_city_dike.aspx But when used out of a boat and away from the crowed rock walkers they can be very effective for luring bait fish and thus game fish. I'll get some pics of the submersible flourescent green light as soon as I get it back from my friend.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,913
  • light2.jpg
    light2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,913
  • light3.jpg
    light3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,913
Sweet. So how well does it penetrate the water? Could you bowfish with it? Most of the lights that I have seen like this one get real hot. Does this one? I am looking for some lights to bowfish with. BTW I have another rib from a boat we worked on that I can use for my next mod. If I place it in the center and I use aluminum angle on the outsides, I will be able to put the floor on top of the rib and rest on the angles on the outside. I can screw the floor down and use the space under the floor for storage. I have a bunch of other plans, but that is the main one. Then I can place my center console and it will be supported. Originally I was going to weld it in, but now I am thinking about screwing it in.

Huntinfool,

This light doesn't get overly hot, I am not quite understanding what exactly you mean by "hot" are saying the light itself or the heat it creates? Down here we use these all summer long and they work great, as far as bow fishing I would say this type of light would be the ticket.

For the rib you mention if by any means you could have it welded, I would go that route, reason being is that aluminum boats flex alot (as you probably know) any screws used for the purpose of securing decks, ribs etc.. will eventually wallow out and loosen up due to flex (giving the type of water you are running in) lakes and streams are more giving than an open Gulf where I am. Make any sense? This is solely based on my experience, so it is not written in stone, just an opinion.

Utilizing the space under the floor is perfect, I used that space for my fuel cell and for life jackets etc.. I am also planning to put a flo jet pump under there for a wash down hose, that will be next.

Let me know if I can assist in anyway, your friend _ Rod

This weekend I finally finished welding the t-top and got it painted and the canvas laced up. O.k., I know some of you are probably saying to yourself "Jon Boats don't have t-tops" but hey, I am in Texas and the heat here can be unforgiving, when I am out on the water any shade can mean the difference between staying out or calling it a day, I am the kind of guy that likes to go from sun up to sun down, but that's just me. The top isn't permanently mounted either so I can undo 2 bolts and its off. Anyhow here is the build.

Attachments

• top folded.jpg
    top folded.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,901
  • to pfolded 3.jpg
    to pfolded 3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,901
  • top up.jpg
    top up.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,901
  • ready for paint.jpg
    ready for paint.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,901
  • top build.jpg
    top build.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,901
  • bead.jpg
    bead.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,901
  • alum spool gun.jpg
    alum spool gun.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,901
  • Millermatic.jpg
    Millermatic.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,901
Here's the type of baitwell aeriating system me and my friend are using, There is a local bait shop selling total kits for like I think $250.00, but hey I all about doing it myself. So we got a hold of some freebie oxygen bottles and bought regulators on E-BAY, (these are the type of regulators used for medical service) they regulate in microns vs psi as most regulators do, you need very little flow to aeriate a livewell to keep your bait fresh. Basically all you do is mount the bottle in a safe place and run the hose with the diffuser to your livewell, kinda like a fish tank.

Next upgrade is the addition of a raw water washdown system, I will be adding to the boat. I will be working on this during the week and hopefully have it done by the weekend.

Attachments

• oxy system.jpg
    oxy system.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,899
  • oxy system2.jpg
    oxy system2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,899
  • oxy system3.jpg
    oxy system3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,899
  • oxy system5.jpg
    oxy system5.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,899
Figures I just gave a bottle and a regulator away. I might have one more somewhere from my FD days.

Also I know what your saying about welding vs. bolting. I would prefer to weld, but if I do and I was to ever need to get to something then I would have problems. I don't think I will have too many issues with flex, from front to rear, but I might have some. I guess I will need to take my rear seat out and get the livewell tank installed and plumbed. Once that is done then I can put the rib in. I am planning on putting it in from the front rib, that I welded in, to the rear seat. But either way I think when I put the floor in it will stop any and just about all the flex I might have.

Not much at all, a couple of bucks. I get mine filled free from a friend at the local F.D. They last longer than you might think because you are using very little oxygen. If you need a bigger bottle they come in various sizes, also you can get an aluminum one. This one is steel but hey it was free, I'll get an aluminum one later. The bottles have different connections on them, this one is used in the medical field so the regulator fitting is different than one you would get from a welding supply type bottle. Both are available on E-Bay

Here's another type of livewell system we use. It is fairly east to build, just get a cooler and mount a bilge pump on the bottom (be sure to use a screen on the inside) and run a piece of hose to a aeriating fitting on the top. I used a cigarette lighter plug on mine but you can use clamps to mount on the battery. This system works really well and is fairly inexpensive to build.

Attachments

• live well.jpg
    live well.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,822
  • live well2.jpg
    live well2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,822
I decided to take a break from working on this boat and actually go use it, we went fishing along a shell island right off the Texas City Dike. While it was nice to get in the water the fish didn't quite cooperate, we only caught a few small sand and speckled trout, but hey that's why its called fishing, I'll get em next time. Here's some pics of the boat on the trailer and in the water.

Attachments

• at night.jpg
    at night.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,822
  • water shot2.jpg
    water shot2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,822
  • water shot.jpg
    water shot.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,822
  • in water.jpg
    in water.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,822
  • at ramp2.jpg
    at ramp2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,822
  • at ramp.jpg
    at ramp.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,822
Maaan ... looks even better in action !

I'm back and forth on my boat.
That, and i've been busy busy.

Once I get things decided/together i'll definitely be givin' you a call.

Wow, you turned a Jon boat into a Cruiser. What an amazing build.

Rod and huntinfool, I live in between you both. We'll have to do a meet and greet.

T.

SlowRollin' Sounds good, where are you located? Maybe we can meet up at Hooters and have some wings & drinks.

Or if ya'll can come down one weekend, we can go wet a line.

Keep, in touch_ Rod

Latest posts