My Custom Fishing Machine 18'-0" Flat Bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great build! I want to do a little tube work to my 1542. What size aluminum tube and what wall thickness did you use for all the stuff you built?

Thanx, Flatbotm, I used 1" -.126 wall. Also, I use a mechanical Greenlee bender to bend it. I also have a JD2 Hydraulic bender, but dies are costly and I only have 2 sets of dies which are for tubing. The aluminum pipe has a bigger o.d. than tubing. I kinda cheated and bent some of the 1" pipe with the 1-1/4" tubing die, it works but its not really meant for it.

Keep us posted on the tube work you do.

Thanks for the info. Before I started building this 1542 I was building jeeps and scouts. I have a jd2 model 32 full hydraulic bender. So I know what you mean about the dies. I have 1in, 1.5, and 1.75 dies right now. I was hoping my 1 in would work. I haven't bent any aluminum yet, lots of steel. What do you think about a permanent Bimini cage? This is one of the things I was thinking of building. .126 wall? I appreciate the help.

Flatbotm, You into 4x4's also? Me too, I've built my share of Jeeps, Toyotas and full size trucks. My current 4x4 is a 85 GMC on 39.5 Swamper's, you can see it in the background in some of the pics. The JD2 bender came in handy on some of these builds, I mostly used it on Harley frames though.

I'm not sure of what you mean about a permanent bimini cage, can you draw a diagram and post your idea? Could be an interesting concept.

.126 wall was what I was thinking it was just off the top of my head, could be .133 anyway just a little over 1/8" wall.

Let me know if I can help in any way.- Rod

Thanks Rod. Nothing to extravagant about the permanent bimini. Just something kind of like your t-top boat shade but more similar to a standard bimini top. I would have a tube that came off the main tube that goes around the edge of the boat that looked like a roll bar or maybe layed back like a wake board tower. Just make it more permanent rather than a fold up and down deal. Then I could have some custom canvas made to stretch over it. I don't want to get too crazy because it could interfere with casting and I don't want to add too much weight on my little boat. Appreciate the help. lots of steel experience but still learning about aluminum fab. I have a millermatic 250 at work with a spoolgun I can use anytime and I have a Hobart 230 at home that I will add the spool gun to in the next few months. Here is the jeep that is mostly finished except paint. Its a rock crawler so no hurry on the paint.
photo-82.jpg

Flatbotm, I'm with you on the bimini now, I kinda can vision what you want. How tall do you want to make it? Will it be used while standing? Your right you need to take in consideration casting room. Sounds like you have alot of the same equipment as I do.

Cool Jeep, here's a pic of my GMC

Attachments

• tracy & chevy.JPG
    tracy & chevy.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 1,479
That is one big and bad GMC! I know alot about building off road rigs but as far as boat building I'm a newbie. The Bimini bar would definitely have to be tall enough to walk under. I just hate to spend $300 on a Bimini when $300 would pay for alot of tube to build some other stuff. With all the straps and stuff on a Bimini I know I could build something easier to fish around. Alot of my fishing will be down in Oklahoma I've got a place down there where all my family is. I know it's hot as hell so shade is a must. Thanks again for the help.
Selby

O.K., I got back to work on the boat today and started to install the freshwater wash down system. I bought a 10 gallon water tank on E-Bay for a reasonable price, then I went to the local Lowe's and bought all the plumbing hardware ( not so cheap). I decided to mount the water tank underneath the center console and run the hoses below the deck to the pump. It took me a while to decide where to store the self coiling hose, so I thought how about installing a small deck hatch and keep the hose below deck out of harms way. Yea, this looks like it will work out fine, when I am ready to rinse off, I just simply open the hatch pull out the hose and have fresh water at my disposable. I initially wanted to use salt and fresh water system but decided a 10 gallon reserve of fresh clean water was plenty for 1 day of fishing. Here's how it is coming out so far.

Attachments

• deck hatch.jpg
    deck hatch.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,434
  • hatch cut out.jpg
    hatch cut out.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,434
  • hatch cut out2.jpg
    hatch cut out2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,434
  • tank in console2.jpg
    tank in console2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,434
  • tank in console.jpg
    tank in console.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,434
  • raw water components2.jpg
    raw water components2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,434
  • raw water components.jpg
    raw water components.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,434
  • mounted pump.jpg
    mounted pump.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,434
It's the neverending build ! :)

I definitely do think you've pretty much got everything covered.

Have you ever gotten the while rig + gear weighed?
Just curious as to how much weight has been added.

Ha! Yea Robbie it seems like this has been the never ending build, but actually I think I about done, it's time to move on to another project.

As far as weighing it, no I have not had it weighed, I'm kinda curious as to how much it weighs also, I know it's gained some pounds with all the stuff I have added but I can tell you it does not effect performance.

Now here's what I've done this weekend, I finished the water wash down system and I made some seat covers for the bench's. I used a plywood bottom and some closed cell foam with water proof camo material to cover the seats with.

Attachments

• installed seat.jpg
    installed seat.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,373
  • seat covers4.jpg
    seat covers4.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,373
  • seat covers3.jpg
    seat covers3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,373
  • seat covers2.jpg
    seat covers2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,373
  • seat covers.jpg
    seat covers.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,373
  • deck hatch with hose.jpg
    deck hatch with hose.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,373
  • water reservoir.jpg
    water reservoir.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,373
  • fill neck install2.jpg
    fill neck install2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,373
  • fill neck install.jpg
    fill neck install.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,373
Robbie, I have my hands full when it comes to projects around here, I think I going to start on my 1978 CB 750 Chopper build next, I like motorcycles also not just boats. Look at my new post "Future Jon Boat Projects" and see these 2 boats I have for future project.

On another note, I went fishing Friday morning however the fish did not cooperate as all I caught was small sharks and 1 big nasty drum, but it was fun to wet a line anyway.

Attachments

• drum.jpg
    drum.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,643
  • drum2.jpg
    drum2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,643
  • bonnett head shark.jpg
    bonnett head shark.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,643
  • green light.jpg
    green light.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,643
Busy - busy, I see.
If I was back in a house, i'd probably have a project of some sorts myself.

Poormans Boatright said:
Robbie, I have my hands full when it comes to projects around here, I think I going to start on my 1978 CB 750 Chopper build next, I like motorcycles also not just boats. Look at my new post "Future Jon Boat Projects" and see these 2 boats I have for future project.

I will never pass up a slot drum.
That said, over 30" they tend to have too many worms.

benjineer said:
You don't eat those "big nasty drum"? The small ones aren't bad.

Robbie, I not much on eating these black drum and you're right they tend to be full of worms. I like reds (which are part of the drum family),especially grilled on the "half shell", yummy. I should be fishing this a.m. as the wind is dead calm, the jetties are probably red hot right now. I'm gonna give it a shot this Friday and maybe I can get into some trout this time. I'll post pics of the catch later that day.

Thanx, Scott , I'm glad you like the build. I will be adding a fish cleaning/fillet table soon with step by step pics of the install, if anybody is interested. Stay tuned._Rod

I wanted to add a small table for cleaning fish and or other needs such as placing my small gas grill on. Magma sells a nice unit with a locking mechanism but its not cheap, around $ 100.00, kinda high for a fillet table. I use one of their largest tables on my 24' Wellcraft offshore boat. I figure I'd make my own table out of materials I have laying around the shop. I planned on posting step by step pics of this build for those folks who do not have the know how on metal fabricating, thinking maybe this would help. Here's how its going so far. I bought a poly cutting board at Walmart for around $10.00, It was just about the right size I wanted to use, just big enough for my gas grill to sit on but not too big to take up a lot of room. Follow along as this build takes place, I will update later this weekend._ Rod

Attachments

• mock up.jpg
    mock up.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,448
  • pieces cut.jpg
    pieces cut.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,448
  • cutting.jpg
    cutting.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,448
  • cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,448
  • cut line.jpg
    cut line.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,448
  • cutting head.jpg
    cutting head.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,448
  • grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,448
  • cutting board.jpg
    cutting board.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,448
Looks good Rod. Is that particular style of stand off available for all plasmas. I have drag tips and gouge tips for my miller but I would like that style so I could use a ruler instead of a piece of square stock or angle iron as my guide.
Thanks
Selby