New Ideas: 1542 MV

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
I am at a turning point in the mod I am doing (and filming) on my 1973 Duracraft. This weekend I will start the floor plan layout. Originally I had what I thought was a pretty good idea of how I wanted the decks to be (see in original thread 1973 Duracraft). Now I am doing some re-thinking. If I was to raise the entire floor deck of the boat about 8"s that wood give me a floor width of about 48" instead of the 42". I would convert the side console to a center console. Would have a fishing seat up front, one rear, and a cooler style bench seat behind the console and a small bench in front of the console. I would have two storage areas for 3 rods each (one on each side of the boat), battery, fuel cell would all be in the back. Would have one small bait well and one live well. Two recessed storage areas one up front by the fishing seat and one behind console bench seat.

I need some input from a different perspective on this? Pros? Cons? Suggestions? I got tunnel vision, can't see past my ideas.

Attachments

• CC Boat 2.jpg
    CC Boat 2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,630
Where's the trolling motor going to end up? Might get in the way of the rod locker when stowed.

I spent a lot of time just sitting on a bucket in my boat with a rod in hand feeling for what would be comfortable and where stuff should be that would feel natural.

Since you're doing videos of the build I'd love to see you incorperate a fire extinguisher in the front of the boat in plain site. I installed mine under the troller mount figureing I can reach it from the water if a fire forces me off the front. never made sense to have an extinguisher in the middle or back of the boat.

Jamie

It will have two extinguishers. One for and aft. As far as the trolling motor goes it will be a transom mounted rig that will modified for the bow. The rod lockers will be clear of it when it is stowed.

I think raising the floor would be alot of extra work, and if you are planning on using wood to do it a lot of extra weight to the boat as well. Seems like a whole of of work for an extra 6 inches. Everything else seems good. Since you arent using evey inch of space under your front casting deck, you could do a rod box where you have holes in the front of the rod box to stick the tips of the rods into the space under the deck.... it would save some room in the boat by making the rod bozes smaller in length..... my $0.02...

I love the center console plan. I think raising the floor would work, but it might put me up higher than I'd want to be when running. It might feel more like a raft and easier to fall off of. Then again, they do make things like that on purpose - https://www.flatlanderboats.com/chiquita.htm. If you wanted to make a casting deck of the whole boat, you could still put a low floor section where you and any passengers sit/stand when running. Hmmm, you could do a bench seat mounted on a piano hinge that folds away into the floor. When closed, the deck is flat, when open, the floor in front of the seat is lower than the deck. Some SUVs have rear seats that work that way. The back folds down, then there's a hinge at the front and the whole seat flips over into the floor where your feet would go.

Anyway, I'd want to frame the raised floor with aluminum to keep the weight down. I'm putting my floor as low as possible, but it's already 48" wide. I started out using wood, but wasn't satisfied. Besides, I don't have much horsepower right now. I just bought 50ft of aluminum angle to get me started. I hope to get some of it done this weekend. Good luck with yours.

I'm really happy with how mine turned out. The front deck is mid height, just enough to clear a battery box, then the rear deck is a bit higher, 4" below the gunnels to clear the engine and fuel tanks. The middle well is nice for running at speed and it's a great place for the little one to go to get out of the wind

P1010147.jpg

Mid mounted center console is great for holding onto when boarding or moving about.

P1010153.jpg

I guess the bigest thing you haven't said is what the final use will be?
Jamie

Uses for the boat: Well, I want it to be more of a utility boat good for any kind of fishing. I would rather not set up a way that would narrow its use as the fishing and the seasons change.

If I ever go to a console,I'd go to the center.
Probably just a personal preference,reminds me of relic...Beachcomers.
I'd keep it small and low as possible,don't want to hit it casting...similar to this,even lower maybe.
console.jpg
My boats rated 60 console,35 tiller so if I went to a 60hp I'd want more weight up front.I also like the idea of looking over the bow,the trolling motor wires could be shorter maybe a livewell for a seat(less bouncing around of fish in the middle)although I'd have to go around the console to put fish in the livewell.

Latest posts